1. ZG 9472 is a synthetic variety with 150 parent clones. Parent clones trace to two populations selected for resistance to verticillium wilt, Anthracnose (Race 1), spotted alfalfa aphid, blue alfalfa aphid, pea aphid, southern root knot nematode and survival under intense grazing pressure by beef cattle. Phenotypic recurrent selection was used. Final selections were made from a grazing survival trial at Tifton Georgia. Parentage traces to Diamond (80%), and Amerigraze 702 (20%). Approximate germplasm source contributes are: M.falcata (1%), Ladak (2%), M. varia (9%), Turkistan (12%), Flemish (18%), Chilean (2%), Peruvian (3%), Indian (5%), African (2%), Arabian (1%), and unknown (45%). Breeder seed (Syn 1) was produced under field isolation near Nampa, Idaho in 1993.
2. ZG 9472 is intended for use in Southwestern region of the United States for grazing and other uses. It has been tested in California and Georgia.
3. Fall dormancy is similar to Mesilla. Flower color of 95% purple, and 4% variegated with a trace of cream, yellow and white. After intense grazing, ZG 9472 showed plant survival significantly better than Pecos and Florida 77 (intolerant grazing check)
4. ZG 9472 has high resistance to bacterial wilt, and fusariurn wilt; resistance to phytophthora root rot, stem nematode, southern root knot nematode. and spotted alfalfa aphid; moderate resistance to anthracnose (Race 1), verticillium wilt, and blue alfalfa aphid, low resistance to pea aphid. Resistance to Aphanomyces root rot has not been tested.
5. Seed increase is limited to one generation each of breeder (Syn 1), Foundation (Syn 2 )and certified (Syn 3) seed classes. Certified seed may be produced from either breeder or foundation classes. A 1, 3 and 6 year stand life is permitted on fields producing breeder. foundation and certified classes, respectively. Foundation seed production outside the area of adaptation is limited to single-season production (non-overwintering). Second year of production maybe allowed with inspection and approval by breeder prior to second year of productions. Breeder seed was produced in 1993. ABI will maintain sufficient stocks for the projected life of the variety.
6. Certified seed will be available in 1997.
7. Plant variety protection will not be applied for.
8. This information can be forwarded to the PVP office
9. Variety Name: Date submitted November 19, 1996
Experimental designations: ZG 9472 Diamond GZ