1. PGI 909 is adapted to and intended for use in the Southwest area of the U.S., Mexico, and Argentina. CW
909 has been tested in California, Mexico, and Argentina.
2. PGI 909 is a very nondormant variety with fall dormancy similar to FD class 9 check varieties. Flower
color observed in the Syn.2 generation is greater than 99% purple with a trace of variegated, white, cream,
3. PGI 909 has high resistance to Fusarium wilt, blue alfalfa aphid, and stem nematode, with resistance to
anthracnose (race 1), Phytophthora root rot, and spotted alfalfa aphid. Reaction to bacterial wilt, Verticillium
wilt, Aphanomyces root rot (race 1), pea aphid, and root knot nematode has not been adequately tested.
4. Seed increase of PGI 909 is on a limited generation basis with one generation of breeder and two
generations of the foundation and certified seed classes. Breeder (Syn.1), foundation (Syn.2 or Syn.3), and
certified (Syn.3 or Syn.4) classes will be recognized. Production of Syn.3 foundation seed requires consent
of the breeder. Breeder seed was produced under open isolation near Tranquility, California in 1999.
Sufficient foundation seed for the projected life of the variety will be maintained by Cal/West Seeds. Stands
of foundation and certified seed fields are limited to 3 and 6 years, respectively.
5. Certified seed of PGI 909 will be available in 2003.
6. No decision has been made regarding Plant Variety Protection.
7. This information can be forwarded to the PVP office.
8. Variety Name: PGI 909
Experimental Designation: CW 99112
Date NA&MLVRB first accepted this variety: January 2004.
Date previous amendments were accepted:
Date this amendment submitted: November 30, 2005.