1. PGI 459 is a synthetic variety with 180 parent plants selected from two-year old grazing selection plots
from various populations that were developed by phenotypic recurrent selection for winter hardiness, leaf
disease resistance, high leaf to stem ratio, standability, high relative feed value (using Near Infrared
Reflectance Spectroscopy), high forage yield potential, and for resistance to one or more of the following
pests: bacterial wilt, Fusarium Wilt, Verticillium wilt, Phytophthora root rot, Aphanomyces root rot,
anthracnose (race 1), and Leptosphaerulina leafspot. Parentage of PGI 459 traces to the following
germplasm sources: Ascend, GH 717, Tribute, and CW 84028. Breeder seed (Syn.1) was produced under
cage isolation near Woodland, California in 2002.
2. PGI 459 is adapted to the North Central, East Central, and Great Plains areas of the U.S. and is intended
for use in the North Central, East Central, Great Plains, Moderately Winterhardy Intermountain, and
Winterhardy Intermountain areas of the U.S.. PGI 459 has been tested in Wisconsin, Iowa, Minnesota,
Pennsylvania, Ohio, Nebraska, Indiana, and South Dakota.
3. PGI 459 is a moderately dormant variety with fall dormancy similar to FD class 4 check varieties. Flower
color observed in the Syn.2 generation is approximately 100% purple, with a trace of variegated, white,
cream and yellow.
4. PGI 459 has high resistance to anthracnose (race 1), bacterial wilt, Fusarium wilt, Verticillium wilt, and
Phytophthora root rot, with resistance to Aphanomyces root rot (race 1), pea aphid, and spotted alfalfa aphid.
Reaction to the blue alfalfa aphid, stem nematode, and root knot nematode has not been tested.
5. Seed increase of PGI 459 is on a limited generation basis with two generations each of breeder,
foundation, and certified seed classes. Breeder (Syn.1 or Syn.2), foundation (Syn.2 or Syn.3), and certified
(Syn.3 or Syn.4) classes will be recognized. Production of Syn.2 breeder or Syn.3 foundation seed requires
consent of the breeder. Breeder seed was produced under cage isolation near Woodland, California in 2002.
Sufficient foundation seed for the projected life of the variety will be maintained by Cal/West Seeds. Stands
of foundation and certified seed fields are limited to 3 and 6 years, respectively.
6. Certified seed of PGI 459 will be available in 2006.
7. No decision has been made regarding Plant Variety Protection.
8. This information can be forwarded to the PVP office.
9. Variety Name: PGI 459 Date submitted: November 30, 2005.
Experimental Designation: CW 24044