1. PGI 424 is adapted to and intended for use in the North Central, East Central, and Great Plains areas of
the U.S.. PGI 424 has been tested in Wisconsin, Iowa, Minnesota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Pennsylvania,
and New York.
2. PGI 424 is a moderately dormant variety with fall dormancy similar to FD class 4 check varieties. Flower
color observed in the Syn.2 generation is greater than 99% purple with a trace of variegated, white, cream,
3. PGI 424 has high resistance to anthracnose (race 1), bacterial wilt, Fusarium wilt, Phytophthora root rot,
and stem nematode, with resistance to pea aphid, Aphanomyces root rot (race 1), and northern root knot
nematode (Meloidogyne hapla). Reaction to Verticillium wilt, spotted alfalfa aphid, and blue alfalfa aphid
has not been tested
4. Seed increase of PGI 424 is on a limited generation basis with one generation of breeder and two
generations of the foundation and certified seed classes. Breeder (Syn.1), foundation (Syn.2 or Syn.3), and
certified (Syn.3 or Syn.4) classes will be recognized. Production of Syn.3 foundation seed requires consent
of the breeder. Breeder seed was produced under cage isolation near Woodland, California in 1999.
Sufficient foundation seed for the projected life of the variety will be maintained by Cal/West Seeds. Stands
of foundation and certified seed fields are limited to 3 and 6 years, respectively.
5. Certified seed of PGI 424 will be available in 2003.
6. No decision has been made regarding Plant Variety Protection.
7. This information can be forwarded to the PVP office.
8. Variety Name: PGI 424
Experimental Designation: CW 94008
Date NA&MLVRB first accepted this variety: January 2004.
Date previous amendments were accepted:
Date this amendment submitted: November 30, 2005.