1. Mariner III is an 84 clone synthetic. One half of the plants were selected for branch root expression
and resistance to a disease complex of Phytophthora root rot and Aphanomyces root rot (Race 1 and 2) in
disease nursery near Appleton, WI. These plants were progeny tested for high levels of resistance to
Aphanomyces root rot (Race 2). The selected plants make up this half of DS416. The other half of the
plants was selected for resistance to Aphanomyces root rot (Race 2) and agronomic traits such as seed
yield and herbage yield.
2. Mariner III is adapted to the North Central and East Central Regions of the United States and intended
for use across the North Central and East Central Regions of the United States. The states where it has
been tested are Iowa, Minnesota, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin.
3. Mariner III is a dormant variety similar to the fall dormancy 4 check. DS416 is very winter hardy
similar to the winter survival 2 check. Flower color in the Syn. 2 generation is 90% purple, 10%
variegated with trace amounts of cream, white and yellow.
4. Mariner III has high resistance to bacterial wilt, Fusarium wilt, Phytophthora root rot, anthracnose
(Race 1), Aphanomyces root rot (Race1), northern root-knot nematode (M. hapla); resistance to
Verticillium wilt, Aphanomyces root rot (Race2) and stem nematode. Mariner III has not been tested for
resistance to blue alfalfa aphid, pea aphid and spotted alfalfa aphid.
5. Breeder seed (Syn. 1) was produced from bulking seed of two populations of greenhouse pollinated
parent plants near Clinton, WI in 2001. Foundation seed (Syn.2) was produced from Breeder seed and
Certified seed (Syn.3) from Foundation seed. One generation each of Breeder, Foundation and Certified
seed classes are recognized. A maximum of three years each is permitted on stands producing Breeder
and Foundation seed with five years for certified seed. Sufficient Breeder seed for the projected life of
the variety will be maintained by Dairyland Research International.
6. Certified Seed will be available spring of 2007.
7. Application for the Plant Variety Protection is undecided.
8. Information in the NAVRB application can be forwarded to the PVP office.
9. Variety name: Mariner III
Date Submitted: November 23, 2005
Experimental designations: DS416