1. Magna 995 is a 24 clone synthetic variety. Parent plants were selected for plant vigor and root health
from forage yield plots from the University of California Research Centers in West Side, Kearney and
2. Magna 995 is adapted and intended for use across the Southwest Region of the United States. The state
where it has been tested is California.
3. Magna 995 is a non dormant variety similar to the fall dormancy 9 check. Flower color of the male
line in the Syn. 2 generation is 99% purple, 1% variegated with trace amounts of cream and white.
4. Magna 995 has high resistance to Phytophthora root rot, stem nematode, northern root-knot nematode
(M. hapla); resistance to pea aphid, southern root-knot nematode (M. incognita); and moderate resistance
to anthracnose (Race 1). Magna 995 has not been tested for resistance to blue alfalfa aphid, spotted
alfalfa aphid Aphanomyces root rot (Race1), bacterial wilt, Fusarium wilt and Verticillium wilt.
5. Breeder seed (Syn. 1) was produced within field isolation near Sloughhouse, CA in the year 2000.
Seed classes will be breeder, foundation seed (Syn. 2 or 3) and certified seed (Syn. 3,4 or 5). A second
generation of foundation seed is at the discretion of Dairyland Seed. A maximum of three years each is
permitted on stands producing Breeder and Foundation seed with five years for certified seed. Sufficient
Breeder seed for the projected life of the variety will be maintained by Dairyland Research International.
6. Certified Seed will be available fall of 2005.
7. Application for the Plant Variety Protection is undecided.
8. Information in the NAVRB application can be forwarded to the PVP office.
9. Variety name: Magna 995 Date Submitted November 23, 2005
Experimental designations: DS995