1. Magna 804 is a 38 clone synthetic variety resulting from a strain cross of two elite Dairyland
populations. Sixteen plants comprising the first population were selected out of 3 year old forage yield
plots. The second population of 22 plants were selected for visual forage quality characteristics (leafiness
and stem size), plant vigor and seed production from nurseries.
2. Magna 804 is adapted and intended for use in the Southwestern Region of the United States. The state
and country where it has been tested is California of the United States
3. Magna 804 is a non-dormant variety similar to the fall dormancy 8 check. Flower color in the Syn. 2
generation is 95% purple, 5% variegated with trace amounts of cream, white and yellow.
4. Magna 804 has high resistance to Phytophthora root rot, pea aphid, stem nematode, northern root knot
nematode (M. hapla); resistance to southern root knot nematode (M. incognita) and moderate resistance to
anthracnose (Race 1). Magna 804 has not been tested against Aphanomyces root rot, Fusarium wilt,
bacterial wilt, Verticillium wilt, spotted alfalfa aphid and blue alfalfa aphid.
5. Pre-Breeder seed (Syn. 1) was produced by bulking seed of 16 parent plants dug from forage yield
plots and separately bulking seed from 22 parent plants selected for visual forage quality characteristics.
Both Pre-Breeder seed lots were grown in field isolation near Sloughhouse, CA in 1994. Breeder seed
(Syn2) of the two populations were grown separately in field isolations near Sloughhouse, CA in 1995.
Foundation seed (Syn3) was produced from a mixture of equal amount of both breeder seed lots. Certified
seed may be either Syn. 3 or 4 from Breeder or Foundation seed. A maximum of three harvest years
each is permitted on stands producing Breeder and Foundation seed with five years for certified seed.
Dairyland Research International will maintain sufficient Breeder seed for the projected life of the
6. Certified Seed will be available March 2005.
7. Application for the Plant Variety Protection is undecided.
8. Variety name: Magna 804
Experimental designations: 70002, 40021, DS784
Date Submitted: November 23, 2005