1. CW 93013 is a synthetic variety with 215 parent plants that were selected sequentially for
multifoliolate leaf expression and for resistance to Phytophthora root rot, Aphanomyces root rot, and
anthracnose. Parent plants were selected from crosses between selections from three-year old Wisconsin
nursery selection from various populations. Nursery source plants were derived from various populations
that were developed by phenotypic recurrent selection for high relative feed value (using Near Infrared
Reflectance Spectroscopy), and for resistance to one or more of the following pests: bacterial wilt,
Fusarium Wilt, Verticillium wilt, Phytophthora root rot, Aphanomyces root rot, anthracnose (race 1), and
Leptosphaerulina leafspot. Parentage of CW 93013 traces to the following germplasm sources: FQ 315,
Sprint, 512, 9326, DK 142, Gold Plus, Maximum I, Nemesis, WinterGold, WinterKing, and
miscellaneous Cal/West Seeds breeding populations. Breeder seed (Syn.1) was produced under cage
isolation near Woodland, California in 1999.
2. CW 93013 is adapted to the North Central, East Central, and Great Plains areas of the U.S. and is
intended for use in the North Central, East Central, Great Plains, and Winterhardy Intermountain areas of
the U.S.. CW 93013 has been tested in Wisconsin, Iowa, Minnesota, Pennsylvania, and Nebraska.
3. CW 93013 is a dormant variety with fall dormancy similar to FD class 3 check varieties. Flower color
observed in the Syn.2 generation is approximately 100% purple with a trace of variegated, white, cream,
4. CW 93013 has high resistance to anthracnose (race 1), bacterial wilt, Fusarium wilt, Verticillium wilt,
Phytophthora root rot, and Aphanomyces root rot (race 1), with resistance to spotted alfalfa aphid and
moderate resistance to pea aphid. Reaction to the blue alfalfa aphid, stem nematode, and root knot
nematode has not been tested.
5. Seed increase of CW 93013 is on a limited generation basis with two generations each of breeder,
foundation, and certified seed classes. Breeder (Syn.1 or Syn.2), foundation (Syn.2 or Syn.3), and
certified (Syn.3 or Syn.4) classes will be recognized. Production of Syn.2 breeder or Syn.3 foundation
seed requires consent of the breeder. Breeder seed was produced under cage isolation near Woodland,
California in 1999. Sufficient foundation seed for the projected life of the variety will be maintained by
Cal/West Seeds. Stands of foundation and certified seed fields are limited to 3 and 6 years, respectively.
6. Certified seed of CW 93013 will be available in 2006.
7. No decision has been made regarding Plant Variety Protection.
8. This information can be forwarded to the PVP office.
9. Variety Name: Date submitted: November 30, 2005.
Experimental Designation: CW 93013