1. CW 24033 is a synthetic variety with 240 parent plants derived from three-year old Wisconsin nursery
selections from various populations for one or more of the following traits: high forage dry matter yield,
high milk per acre using Milk2000, high relative feed value using Near Infrared Reflectance
Spectroscopy, and high rumen undegradable protein using Near Infrared Reflectance Spectroscopy. The
nursery source plants were derived from various populations that were developed by phenotypic recurrent
selection for high winter hardiness, high relative feed value (using Near Infrared Reflectance
Spectroscopy), and for resistance to one or more of the following pests: bacterial wilt, Fusarium Wilt,
Verticillium wilt, Phytophthora root rot, Aphanomyces root rot, anthracnose (race 1), and
Leptosphaerulina leafspot. Parentage of CW 24033 traces to the following germplasm sources: 9429,
Alliant, FQ 315, WinterGold, and miscellaneous Cal/West Seeds breeding populations. Breeder seed
(Syn.1) was produced under cage isolation near Woodland, California in 2002.
2. CW 24033 is adapted to the North Central and East Central areas of the U.S. and is intended for use in
the North Central, East Central, Great Plains, Moderately Winterhardy Intermountain, and Winterhardy
Intermountain areas of the U.S.. CW 24033 has been tested in Wisconsin, Iowa, and South Dakota.
3. CW 24033 is a moderately dormant variety with fall dormancy similar to FD class 4 check varieties.
Flower color observed in the Syn.2 generation is approximately 96% purple, 1% variegated, 1% white,
1% cream and 1% yellow.
4. CW 24033 has high resistance to anthracnose (race 1), bacterial wilt, Fusarium wilt, Verticillium wilt,
and Phytophthora root rot, with resistance to Aphanomyces root rot (race 1). Reaction to the pea aphid,
spotted alfalfa aphid, blue alfalfa aphid, stem nematode, and root knot nematode has not been tested.
5. Seed increase of CW 24033 is on a limited generation basis with two generations each of breeder,
foundation, and certified seed classes. Breeder (Syn.1 or Syn.2), foundation (Syn.2 or Syn.3), and
certified (Syn.3 or Syn.4) classes will be recognized. Production of Syn.2 breeder or Syn.3 foundation
seed requires consent of the breeder. Breeder seed was produced under cage isolation near Woodland,
California in 2002. Sufficient foundation seed for the projected life of the variety will be maintained by
Cal/West Seeds. Stands of foundation and certified seed fields are limited to 3 and 6 years, respectively.
6. Certified seed of CW 24033 will be available in 2006.
7. No decision has been made regarding Plant Variety Protection.
8. This information can be forwarded to the PVP office.
9. Variety Name: Date submitted: November 30, 2005.
Experimental Designation: CW 24033