1. CW 02001 is a synthetic variety with 114 parent plants that were selected sequentially for high winter
hardiness, high forage yield, high relative feed value, and multifoliolate leaf expression. Parent plants
were selected from selections from five-year old Pennsylvania, three-year old Minnesota, three-year old
Wisconsin yield trials, and from three-year old Wisconsin nursery selections from various populations.
Yield trial source varieties and nursery source plants were derived from various populations that were
developed by phenotypic recurrent selection for high relative feed value (using Near Infrared Reflectance
Spectroscopy), and for resistance to one or more of the following pests: bacterial wilt, Fusarium Wilt,
Verticillium wilt, Phytophthora root rot, Aphanomyces root rot, anthracnose (race 1), and
Leptosphaerulina leafspot. Parentage of CW 02001 traces to the following germplasm sources: TMF 421,
Abound, Gold Plus, Sprint, and miscellaneous Cal/West Seeds breeding populations. Breeder seed
(Syn.1) was produced under cage isolation near Woodland, California in 2000.
2. CW 02001 is adapted to the North Central and East Central areas of the U.S. and is intended for use in
the North Central, East Central, and Winterhardy Intermountain areas of the U.S.. CW 02001 has been
tested in Wisconsin and Iowa.
3. CW 02001 is a dormant variety with fall dormancy similar to FD class 2 check varieties. Flower color
observed in the Syn.2 generation is approximately 93% purple, 1% variegated, 2% cream, and 4% yellow,
with a trace of white.
4. CW 02001 has high resistance to anthracnose (race 1), bacterial wilt, Fusarium wilt, Verticillium wilt,
and Phytophthora root rot, resistance to Aphanomyces root rot (race 1) and spotted alfalfa aphid, and
moderate resistance to pea aphid. Reaction to the blue alfalfa aphid, stem nematode, and root knot
nematode has not been tested.
5. Seed increase of CW 02001 is on a limited generation basis with two generations each of breeder,
foundation, and certified seed classes. Breeder (Syn.1 or Syn.2), foundation (Syn.2 or Syn.3), and
certified (Syn.3 or Syn.4) classes will be recognized. Production of Syn.2 breeder or Syn.3 foundation
seed requires consent of the breeder. Breeder seed was produced under cage isolation near Woodland,
California in 2000. Sufficient foundation seed for the projected life of the variety will be maintained by
Cal/West Seeds. Stands of foundation and certified seed fields are limited to 3 and 6 years, respectively.
6. Certified seed of CW 02001 will be available in 2006.
7. No decision has been made regarding Plant Variety Protection.
8. This information can be forwarded to the PVP office.
9. Variety Name: Date submitted: November 30, 2005.
Experimental Designation: CW 02001