1. WL 625HQ is a 105 clone synthetic variety resulting from a strain cross of two elite W-L experimental lines that were dug from three-year-old field yield trials and selected for in vitro dry matter disappearance (IVTD) using phenotypic recurrent selection. Parental germplasm traces to Mecca, CUF 10 1, WL 50 1, WL 504 and UC Cibola. The 105 parental selections were grown in an isolation cage at Bakersfield, California. Breeder (syn l) seed was bulked (all seed from all plants) following harvest. Approximate germplasm source contributions are Arabian (40%), African (30%), Indian (20%), and Chilean (10%).
2. WL 625HQ is adapted to and intended for use in the southwestern United States. WL 625HQ has been yield tested in California.
3. Flower color of WL 625HQ at syn 2 approximates 100% purple with a trace of variegated. The fall dormancy of WL 625HQ is similar to CUF 101 (Class 9).
4. WL 625HQ has high resistance to Fusarium wilt, Phytophthora root rot, pea aphid, spotted alfalfa aphid, blue alfalfa aphid and southern root-knot nematode; resistance to stem nematode; and moderate resistance to bacterial wilt Reaction to anthracnose (race 1), Verticillium, wilt and Aphanomyces root rot (race 1) has not been adequately tested.
5. Breeder seed (syn l) was produced in 1996 on 105 plants under cage isolation at Bakersfield, California. Sufficient foundation (syn 2) seed will be produced for the expected life of the variety and will be maintained by W-L Research. One generation of breeder (syn l), two generations of foundation (syn 2 or 3), and three generations of certified (syn 2,3 or 4) seed are recognized. The maximum permitted length of stand for foundation and certified seed fields are three and five years, respectively. Production of syn 3 foundation seed requires consent of the breeder.
6. Certified seed will be marketed in 2000.
7. It is undecided whether application will be made for Plant Variety Protection.
8. The information in this application can be turned over to the PVP office.
9. Variety name: WL 625HO
Experimental designations: C349
Date NA&MLVRB first accepted this variety: January 2000
Dates previous amendments were accepted: none
Date this amendment submitted: November 1, 2002