1. Tribute is a synthetic variety with 225 parent plants that were selected sequentially for multifoliolate leaf expression and for resistance to Phytophthora root rot and Aphanomyces root rot (race 1). Parent plants were selected from crosses between selections from three-year old Minnesota and Wisconsin yield trials. Yield trial source varieties were derived from various populations that were developed by phenotypic recurrent selection for high relative feed value (using Near Infrared Reflectance Spectroscopy), and for resistance to one or more of the following pests: bacterial wilt, Fusarium Wilt, Verticillium wilt, Phytophthora root rot, Aphanomyces root rot (race 1), anthracnose (race 1), and Leptosphaerulina leafspot. Parentage of Tribute traces to the following germplasm sources: 512, DK 142, Gold Plus, Cyclone, and miscellaneous Cal/West Seeds breeding populations. Approximate germplasm source contributions are as follows: M.falcata (8%), Ladak (6%), M.varia (25%), Turkistan (3%), Flemish (49%), and Chilean (9%).
2. Tribute is adapted to the North Central and East Central areas of the U.S. and is intended for use in the North Central, East Central, and Great Plains areas of the U.S. Tribute has been tested in Wisconsin, Minnesota, Illinois, Michigan, and Pennsylvania.
3. Tribute is a dormant variety with fall dormancy similar to FD class 4 check varieties. Flower color observed in the Syn.2 generation is approximately 100% purple with a trace of variegated, white, cream, and yellow.
4. Tribute has high resistance to anthracnose (race 1), bacterial wilt, Fusarium wilt, Phytophthora root rot, and stem nematode with resistance to Verticillium wilt, Aphanomyces root rot (race 1), pea aphid, spotted alfalfa aphid, and northern root knot nematode (Meloidogyne hapla). Reaction to blue alfalfa aphid has not been adequately tested.
5. Seed increase of Tribute is on a limited generation basis with one generation of breeder and two generations of the foundation and certified seed classes. Breeder (Syn.l), foundation (Syn.2 or Syn.3), and certified (Syn.3 or Syn.4) classes will be recognized. Production of Syn.3 foundation seed requires consent of the breeder. Breeder seed was produced under cage isolation near Woodland, California in 1998. Sufficient foundation seed for the projected life of the variety will be maintained by Cal/West Seeds. Stands of foundation and certified seed fields are limited to 3 and 6 years, respectively.
6. Certified seed of Tribute will be available in 2003.
7. No decision has been made regarding Plant Variety Protection.
8. This information can be forwarded to the PVP office.
9. Variety Name: Tribute Date submitted: November30, 2002.
Experimental Designation: CW 84025.