1. The selection criteria used in the development of this variety include resistance to root rots under extremely wet conditions, less fall dormancy, winter hardiness, forage yield, forage quality, persistence, and resistance to the alfalfa weevil, pea aphid, and spotted alfalfa aphid.
2. This variety is adapted to the East Central and Moderately Winter Hardy Intermountain regions.
3. Test variety is moderately fall dormant, similar to FD6 checks. Flower color (syn 2) is 22% variegated and 78% purple.
4. This variety has high resistance to Anthracnose (Race 1), Bacterial Wilt, Fusarium Wilt, Phytophthora Root Rot, Spotted Alfalfa Aphid and Pea Aphid with resistance to Verticillium Wilt, Aphanomyces Root Rot and Stem Nematode. Blue Aphid Resistance has not been tested.
5. Seed increase is on a limited generation basis: Breeder (Syn 1), Foundation (Syn 2), and Certified (Syn 3). Breeder Seed was produced in 1998. Breeder and Foundation seed will be maintained by Great Plains Research Company, Inc. Sufficient breeder and foundation seed are available for foreseeable needs.
6. Certified seed will be marketed in 2004.
7. No Decision has been made concerning Plant Variety Protection Act.
8. Information in this application may be forwarded to PVP office.
9. Variety Name: Toro Date Submitted: November 25,2002
Experimental Designation: NS-98-03 and GP00TC