1. The selection criteria used in the development of this variety include forage yield potential, forage quality potential, persistence, and resistance to one or more of the following pests: bacterial wilt, Verticillium wilt, Fusarium wilt, anthracnose (Race 1), Phytophthora root rot and Aphanomyces root rot (Race 1).
2. This variety is adapted to the North Central region. This variety has been tested in Minnesota and Wisconsin and is intended for use in the North Central, East Central, Moderately Winterhardy Intermountain, Winterhardy Intermountain and Great Plains regions.
3. Test variety is fall dormant, similar to FD3 checks. Test variety is Extremely Winterhardy, similar to WS1 checks. Flower color (Syn 2) is 89% purple, 9% variegated, 1% cream, 1% white with a trace of yellow. This variety has moderate multifoliolate leaf expression.
4. This variety has high resistance to Aphanomyces root rot (Race 1), bacterial wilt, Fusarium wilt, Phytophthora root rot, spotted alfalfa aphid and anthracnose (Race 1); with resistance to Verticillium wilt and stem nematode. Reaction to pea aphid, blue alfalfa aphid and root knot nematode has not been tested.
5. Seed increase is on a limited generation basis with one generation of breeder and two generations of foundation and certified seed classes. Breeder (Syn 1), foundation (Syn 2 or Syn 3), and certified (Syn 3 or Syn 4) classes will be recognized. Production of Syn 3 foundation seed requires consent of the breeder. Breeder seed was produced near Nampa, Idaho in 1997. Sufficient foundation seed for the projected life of the variety will be maintained by Forage Genetics. Stands of foundation and certified seed fields are limited to 3 and 6 years, respectively.
6. Certified seed will be marketed in 2001.
7. No decision has been made concerning Plant Variety Protection Act.
8. The information in this application may not be forwarded to the PVP office.
9. Variety name: Starbuck
Experimental designations: FG 4A78
Date NA&MLVRB first accepted this variety: January 1, 2001
Dates previous amendments were accepted: none
Date this amendment submitted: November 1, 2002