1. Foremost is a synthetic variety with 250 parent plants which were selected sequentially for multifoliolate leaf expression and for resistance to Phytophthora root rot and Aphanomyces root rot (race 1). Parent plants were selected from crosses between selections from three year old Wisconsin, Iowa, and Minnesota yield trials. Source varieties were derived from various populations which were developed by phenotypic recurrent selection for high relative feed value (using Near Infrared Reflectance Spectroscopy), and for resistance to one or more of the following pests: bacterial wilt, Verticillium wilt, Phytophthora root rot, Aphanomyces root rot (race 1), anthracnose (race 1), and Leptosphaerulina leafspot. Parentage of Foremost traces to the following germplasm sources: BigHorn, Hunter, Maximum I, and miscellaneous Cal/West Seeds breeding populations. Approximate germplasm source contributions are as follows: M.falcata (8%), Ladak (5%), M.varia (26%), Turkistan (4%), Flemish (48%), and Chilean (9%).
2. Foremost is adapted to and intended for use in the North Central, East Central, and Great Plains areas of the U.S.. Foremost has been tested in Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa, Michigan, Pennsylvania, and Nebraska.
3. Foremost is a moderately dormant variety with fall dormancy similar to FD class 4 check varieties. Flower color observed in the Syn.2 generation is approximately 99% purple, 1% variegated, with a trace of white, cream, and yellow.
4. Foremost has high resistance to anthracnose (race I ), bacterial wilt, Fusarium wilt, Verticillium wilt, Phytophthora root rot, and stem nematode with resistance to Aphanomyces root rot (race I ), spotted alfalfa aphid, pea aphid, and northern root knot nematode (Meloidogyne hapla). Reaction to blue alfalfa aphid has not been adequately tested.
5. Seed increase of Foremost is on a limited generation basis with one generation of breeder and two generations of the foundation and certified seed classes. Breeder (Syn. I ), foundation (Syn.2 or Syn.3), and certified (Syn.3 or Syn.4) classes will be recognized. Production of Syn.3 foundation seed requires consent of the breeder. Breeder seed was produced under cage isolation near Woodland, California in 1996. Sufficient foundation seed for the projected life of the variety will be maintained by Cal/West Seeds. Stands of foundation and certified seed fields are limited to 3 and 6 years, respectively.
6. Certified seed of Foremost will be available in 2002.
7. No decision has been made regarding Plant Variety Protection.
8. This information can be forwarded to the PVP office.
9. Variety Name: Foremost
Experimental Designation: CW 64010.
Date NA&MLVRB first accepted this variety: Januarv 2000.
Date previous amendments were accepted:
Date this amendment submitted: November 30 2002.