1. Dynamic is a synthetic variety with 225 parent plants that were selected sequentially for multifoliolate leaf expression and for resistance to Phytophthora root rot and Aphanomyces root rot (race 1). Parent plants were selected from crosses between selections from three-year old Minnesota and Wisconsin yield trials and three-year old nursery selection from various populations that were developed by phenotypic recurrent selection for high relative feed value (using Near Infrared Reflectance Spectroscopy), and for resistance to one or more of the following pests: bacterial wilt, Fusarium Wilt, Verticillium wilt, Phytophthora root rot, Aphanomyces root rot (race 1), anthracnose (race 1), and Leptosphaerulina leafspot. Parentage of Dynamic traces to the following germplasm sources: TMF 421, and miscellaneous CalfWest Seeds breeding populations. Approximate germplasm source contributions are as follows: M.falcata (8%), Ladak (6%), M.varia (26%), Turkistan (4%), Flemish (48%), and Chilean (8%).
2. Dynamic is adapted to and intended for use in the North Central, East Central, and Great Plains areas of the U.S. Dynamic has been tested in Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa, Michigan, Pennsylvania, and Nebraska.
3. Dynamic is a dormant variety with fall dormancy similar to FD class 2 check varieties. Flower color observed in the Syn.2 generation is approximately 97% purple and 3% variegated, with a trace of white, cream, and yellow.
4. Dynamic has high resistance to anthracnose (race 1), bacterial wilt, Fusarium wilt, Verticillium wilt, Phytophthora root rot, and Aphanomyces root rot (race 1), with resistance to pea aphid and northern root knot nematode (Meloidogyne hapla), and moderate resistance to stem nematode. Reaction to spotted alfalfa aphid and blue alfalfa aphid has not been adequately tested.
5. Seed increase of Dynamic is on a limited generation basis with one generation of breeder and two generations of the foundation and certified seed classes. Breeder (Syn.l), foundation (Syn.2 or Syn.3), and certified (Syn.3 or Syn.4) classes will be recognized. Production of Syn.3 foundation seed requires consent of the breeder. Breeder seed was produced under cage isolation near Woodland, California in 1997. Sufficient foundation seed for the projected life of the variety will be maintained by Cal/West Seeds. Stands of foundation and certified seed fields are limited to 3 and 6 years, respectively.
6. Certified seed of Dynamic will be available in 2003.
7. No decision has been made regarding Plant Variety Protection.
8. This information can be forwarded to the PVP office.
9. Variety Name: Dynamic Date submitted: November 30, 2002.
Experimental Designation: CW 72009.