1. CW 89126 is a synthetic variety with 152 parent plants that were selected for spotted alfalfa aphid resistance from source populations selected for drought tolerance, and persistence under dryland conditions in Mexico. Parent plants were selected from various populations that were developed by a combination of phenotypic recurrent selection and strain crossing with selection for resistance to one or more of the following pests: Fusarium wilt, Verticillium wilt, Phytophthora root rot, anthracnose (race 1), spotted alfalfa aphid, and blue alfalfa aphid. Parentage of CW 89126 traces to miscellaneous Cal/West Seeds breeding populations (100%). Approximate germplasm source contributions are as follows: African (100%).
2. CW 89126 is adapted to and intended for use in the Southwest area of the U.S. and Mexico. CW 89126 has been tested in California and Mexico.
3. CW 89126 is a very nondormant variety with fall dormancy similar to FD class 9 check varieties. Flower color observed in the Syn.2 generation is approximately 100% purple with a trace of variegated, white, cream, and yellow.
4. CW 89126 has high resistance to Fusarium wilt, pea aphid, and spotted alfalfa aphid, with resistance to blue alfalfa aphid, moderate resistance to Phytophthora root rot, and low resistance to anthracnose (race 1). Reaction to Aphanomyces root rot (race 1), bacterial wilt, Verticillium wilt, stem nematode and root knot nematode has not been adequately tested.
5. Seed increase of CW 89126 is on a limited generation basis with one generation of breeder and two generations of the foundation and certified seed classes. Breeder (Syn. l ), foundation (Syn.2 or Syn.3), and certified (Syn.3 or Syn.4) classes will be recognized. Production of Syn.3 foundation seed requires consent of the breeder. Breeder seed was produced under cage isolation near Celaya, Mexico in 1998. Sufficient foundation seed for the projected life of the variety will be maintained by Cal/West Seeds. Stands of foundation and certified seed fields are limited to 3 and 6 years, respectively.
6. Certified seed of CW 89126 will be available in 2003.
7. No decision has been made regarding Plant Variety Protection.
8. This information can be forwarded to the PVP office.
9. Variety Name: Date submitted: November 30, 2002.
Experimental Designation: CW 89126.