1. CW 88130 is a synthetic variety with 314 parent plants that were selected for aphid resistance, drought tolerance, frost tolerance, persistence and agronomic characteristics from space planted nurseries and yield trials in Argentina. Parent plants were selected from various populations that were developed by a combination of phenotypic recurrent selection and strain crossing with selection for resistance to one or more of the following pests: Fusarium wilt, Verticillium wilt, Phytophthora root rot, anthracnose (race 1), spotted alfalfa aphid, blue alfalfa aphid, and stem nematode. Parentage of CW 88130 traces to Alfa 200, Monarca, DK 189, Weston, WL525HQ, and miscellaneous Cal/West Seeds breeding populations. Approximate germplasm source contributions are as follows: M.varia (3%), Turkistan (28%), Chilean (5%), Peruvian (5%), Indian (14%), and African (45%).
2. CW 88130 is adapted to and intended for use in the Southwest area of the U.S., Mexico, and Argentina. CW 88130 has been tested in California and Argentina.
3. CW 88130 is a nondormant variety with fall dormancy similar to FD class 8 check varieties. Flower color observed in the Syn.2 generation is approximately 98% purple and 2% variegated, with a trace of white, cream, and yellow.
4. CW 88130 has high resistance to anthracnose (race 1), Fusarium wilt, Phytophthora root rot, pea aphid, spotted alfalfa aphid, blue alfalfa aphid, stem nematode, and northern root knot nematode (Meloidogyne hapla), with resistance to Verticillium wilt and moderate resistance to bacterial wilt. Reaction to Aphanomyces root rot (race 1) has not been adequately tested.
5. Seed increase of CW 88130 is on a limited generation basis with one generation of breeder and two generations of the foundation and certified seed classes. Breeder (Syn. D, foundation (Syn.2 or Syn.3), and certified (Syn.3 or Syn.4) classes will be recognized. Production of Syn.3 foundation seed requires consent of the breeder. Breeder seed was produced under cage isolation near Mendoza, Argentina in 1998. Sufficient foundation seed for the projected life of the variety will be maintained by Cal/West Seeds. Stands of foundation and certified seed fields are limited to 3 and 6 years, respectively.
6. Certified seed of CW 88130 will be available in 2003.
7. No decision has been made regarding Plant Variety Protection.
8. This information can be forwarded to the PVP office.
9. Variety Name: CW 88130 Date submitted: November 30, 2002.
Experimental Designation: CW 88130.