1. CW 83021 is a synthetic variety with 225 parent plants that were selected for multifoliolate leaf expression and resistance to Phytophthora root rot. Parent plants were selected from crosses between selections from three-year old Minnesota and Wisconsin yield trials and three-year old nursery selections and from crosses between the selections from three-year old Wisconsin nurseries. Both yield trial and nursery source varieties were derived from various populations that were developed by phenotypic recurrent selection for high relative feed value (using Near Infrared Reflectance Spectroscopy), and for resistance to one or more of the following pests: bacterial wilt, Fusarium Wilt, Verticillium wilt, Phytophthora root rot, Aphanomyces root rot (race 1), anthracnose (race 1), and Leptosphaerulina leafspot. Parentage of CW 83021 traces to the following germplasm sources: Abound, Sprint, 512, Cyclone, Gold Plus, DK 142, Legend Gold, Nemesis, Pointer, UltraLac, and miscellaneous Cal/West Seeds breeding populations. Approximate germplasm source contributions are as follows: M.falcata (8%), Ladak (5%), M.varia (24%), Turkistan (3%), Flemish (51%), and Chilean (9%).
2. CW 83021 is adapted to and intended for use in the North Central, East Central, and Great Plains areas of the U.S. CW 83021 has been tested in Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, and Nebraska.
3. CW 83021 is a dormant variety with fall dormancy similar to FD class 4 check varieties. Flower color observed in the Syn.2 generation is approximately 100% purple, with a trace of variegated, white, cream and yellow.
4. CW 83021 has high resistance to Fusarium wilt, with resistance to bacterial wilt, Verticillium wilt, Phytophthora root rot, Aphanomyces root rot (race 1), pea aphid, spotted alfalfa aphid, stem nematode and northern root knot nematode (Meloidogyne hapla), and moderate resistance to anthracnose (race 1). Reaction to blue alfalfa aphid has not been adequately tested.
5. Seed increase of CW 83021 is on a limited generation basis with one generation of breeder and two generations of the foundation and certified seed classes. Breeder (Syn. l), foundation (Syn.2 or Syn.3), and certified (Syn.3 or Syn.4) classes will be recognized. Production of Syn.3 foundation seed requires consent of the breeder. Breeder seed was produced under cage isolation near Woodland, California in 1998. Sufficient foundation seed for the projected life of the variety will be maintained by Cal/West Seeds. Stands of foundation and certified seed fields are limited to 3 and 6 years, respectively.
6. Certified seed of CW 83021 will be available in 2003.
7. No decision has been made regarding Plant Variety Protection.
8. This information can be forwarded to the PVP office.
9. Variety Name: Date submitted: Novernber 30, 2002.
Experimental Designation: CW 83021.