1. Ameristand 801S is a synthetic variety with 250 parent clones. Parent clones trace to one population selected for increased germination and forage yield under saline (NaCI) stress. The basis of selection was a modification of the procedures outlined in the development of AZ-Germ Salt II (Crop science vol. 29:0493) 1989) and AZ9ONDC-ST (Crop Science vol. 31, p 1098 (1998).
Phenotypic recurrent selection was used. Final selections were made from salinity trials in Arizona and California.
Parent traces to Salado (100%)
Approximate germplasm source contributions are:
M. falcata (0%), Ladak (0%), M. varia (0%), Turkistan (0%), Flemish (0%), Chilean (0%), Peruvian (0%), Indian (50%), African (0%), Arabian (0%) and unknown (50%). Breeder seed (Syn 1) was produced under field isolation near Kingsburg, CA in 1997.
2. Area of intended use is Central and Southern
California, and the lower elevations of Arizona and New Mexico. Area of
adaptation is Southwest Regions of U.S.
5. Seed increase is limited to one generation of breeder seed (Syn 1), foundation (Syn 2) and certified (Syn 3) seed classes. Certified seed may be produced from either breeder or foundation classes. A 1, 3, an 5 year stand life is permitted on fields producing breeder, foundation and certified classes, respectively. Foundation seed production, outside the area of adaptation is limited to single season production (non-overwintering). Second year of production may be allowed with inspection and approval by breeder prior to second year production. Breeder seed was produced in 1997. ABI will maintain sufficient stocks for the projected life of the variety.
6. Certified seed will be available in 2001
7. Plant variety protection will not be applied for.
8. This information can be forwarded to the PVP office.
9. Variety Name: Ameristand 801S Date Submitted: November 21, 2002
Experimental Designations: ZS 9890