1. AmeriLeaf 721 is a synthetic variety with 200 parental clones. Parental trace to non-dormant populations selected for resistance to verticillium wilt, anthracnose, spotted alfalfa aphid, and southern root knot nematode. Parent clones were also selected for large and multifoliolate leaf traits, as well as dark green color.
Recurrent phenotypic selection was used. Final selections were made from a space plant nursery near Kingsburg, California.
Parentage traces to Pecos (70%) and non-dormant germplasms (30%).
Approximate germplasm source contributes are:
M.falcata (2%), Ladak (1%), M.varia (7%), Turkistan(25%), Flemish(2%), Chilean(15%), Peruvian (1%), Indian (15%), African (2%), and unknown (30%).
2. AmeriLeaf 721 is adapted to the southwest and midwest intermountain regions of the U.S.
3. Fall dormancy is similar to Mesilla a fall dormancy 7. Flower color is approximately 98% purple and 2% variegated and a trace of 1% cream, yellow and white.
4. AmeriLeaf 721 has high resistance to Phytophthora root rot, Fusarium wilt, anthracnose (race 1), and spotted alfalfa aphid; resistance to Verticillium wilt, bacterial wilt, pea aphid, and southern root knot nematode; and moderate resistance to stem nematode, and blue alfalfa aphid. AmeriLeaf 721 also displays a low level of multifoliolate leaf expression. It has not been tested for reaction to Aphanomyces and species of root knot nematode.
5. Seed increase is limited to one generation each of breeder (Syn 1), foundation (Syn 2) and certified (Syn 3) seed classes. Certified may be produced from earlier breeder or foundation classes. A 1, 3 and 6 year stand life is permitted on fields producing breeder, foundation and certified classes, respectively. Foundation seed production, outside the area of adaptation is limited to single / season production (Non- overwintering). Second year of production may be allowed with inspection and approval by breeder prior to second year production. Breeder seed was produced in 1995. ABI will maintain sufficient stock for the projected life of the variety.
6. Certified seed will be available in 1998
7. Plant variety protection will not be applied for.
8. This information can be forwarded to the PVP office.
9. Variety Name: AmeriLeaf 721 Date submitted November 21, 2002
Experimental designations: ZL 9677