1. ZX 9894 is a synthetic variety with 300 parent clones. Parent clones trace to one population selected for resistance to verticillium wilt, anthracnose (Race 1), spotted alfalfa aphid, blue alfalfa aphid, and pea aphid. Phenotypic recurrent selection was used. Final selections were made from a space planted nursery near El Centro, California
2. ZX 9894 is adapted to the Southwest region of the U.S. It is intended for use in the Southwest region of the U.S. to produce stored feed.
3. ZX 9894 is very non-dormant, similar to the FD 9 check. Flower color is approximately 97% purple, 1% cream, 1% yellow, and 1% variegated .
4. ZX 9894 has high resistance to Fusarium wilt, anthracnose (race 1), pea aphid, southern root knot nematode, and Aphanomyces root rot (race 1); and resistance to vericillium wilt, phytophthora root rot, spotted alfalfa aphid, and
blue alfalfa aphid. Bacterial wilt and stem nematode resistance levels has not been determined.
5. Seed increase is limited to one generation of breeder seed (Syn 1); foundation (Syn 2) and certified seed (Syn 3) seed classes. Certified seed may be produced from either breeder or foundation classes. A 1, 3, and 5 year stand life is permitted on fields producing breeder, foundation and certified classes, respectively. Foundation seed production, outside the area of adaptation, is limited to single season production (non-over wintering ). Second year of production may be allowed with inspection and approval by breeder prior to second year production. Breeder seed was produced under field isolation near El Centro, CA in 1997. ABI will maintain sufficient stocks for the projected life of the variety.
6. Certified seed will be available in 2002.
7. Plant Variety protection will not be applied for.
8. This information can be forwarded to the P.V.P. office.
9. Variety Name: Date submitted: November 21, 2001
Experimental designations: ZX 9894