1. ZX 9392 is a synthetic variety with 300 parent clones. Parent
clones trace to three populations selected for resistance to verticillium
wilt anthracnose (Race 1), spotted alfalfa aphid, blue alfalfa aphid and
pea aphid. Phenotypic recurrent selection was used. Final selections
were made from a space planted nursery near Kingsburg, California.
Parentage traces to UC 332 (40%), UC 195 (40%), and Cuf 101 (20%). Approximate germplasm source contributions are: M.falcata (2%), Ladak (1%), M. varia (1%), Turkistan (10%), Flemish(1%), Chilean ( 10%), Peruvian (1%), Indian (14%), and African (60%). Breeder seed (Syn 1) was produced under field isolation near Nampa, Idaho in 1993.
2. ZX 9392 is intended for use in central and southern California and the lower elevations of Arizona and New Mexico. This variety has been tested in California and Arizona.
3. Fall dormancy is similar to Cuf 101. Flower color is approximately 99% purple with a trace of variegated cream. white and yellow.
4. ZX 9392 has high resistance to pea aphid spotted alfalfa aphid, and blue alfalfa aphid; resistance to fusarium wilt phytophthora root rot, and southern root knot nematode; moderate resistance anthracnose (Race 1) , verticillium wilt, stem nematode: and low resistance to bacterial wilt.
5. Seed increase is limited to one generation each of breeder (Syn 1), foundation (Syn 2) and certified (Syn 3) seed classes. Certified seed may be produced from either breeder or foundation classes. A 1, 3 and 6 year stand life is permitted on fields producing breeder, foundation and certified classes, respectively. Foundation seed production. outside the area of adaption, is limited to single-season production (non-overwintering). Second year of production may be allowed with inspection and approval by breeder prior to second year production. Breeder seed was produced in 1993. ABI will maintain sufficient seed stock for the projected life of the variety.
6. Certified seed will be available in l997.
7. Plant variety protection will not be applied for.
8. This information can be forward to the PVP office.
9. Variety Name: Date submitted November 19, 1996
Experimental designations: ZC 9392 ABI 9392