1. ZS 9992 is a synthetic variety with 200 parent clones. Parent clones trace to one population selected for increased germination and forage yield under saline (NaCl) stress, and field tolerance for Rhizoctonia. Phenotypic recurrent selection was used. Final selections were made in salinity field trials in Arizona
2. ZS 9992 is adapted to the Southwest region of the U.S. It is intended for use in the Southwest region of the U.S. to produce stored feed.
3. ZS 9992 is very non-dormant similar to the FD 9 check. F1ower color is approximately 98% purple, 1% yellow, and 1% variegated.
4. ZS 9992 has high resistance to fusarium wilt, anthracnose (race 1), and phytophthora root rot; and resistance to bacterial wilt, verticillium wilt, blue alfalfa aphid, and aphanomyces root rot (race 1), Spotted alfalfa aphid, pea aphid, stem nematode, and southern root knot nematode resistance has not been determined.
5. Seed increase is limited to one generation each of breeder (Syn 1), foundation (Syn 2) and certified (Syn 3) seed classes. Certified may be produced from either breeder or foundation classes. A 1, 3 and 5 year stand life is permitted on fields producing breeder, foundation and certified classes, respectively. Foundation seed production, outside the area of adaptation is limited to single-season production (non-over wintering). Second year of production may be allowed with inspection and approval by breeder prior to second year production. Breeder seed was produced in 1998. ABI will maintain sufficient stocks for the projected life of the variety.
6. Certified seed will be available in 2002
7. Plant variety protection has not been applied for.
8. This information can be forwarded to the P.V.P. office.
9. Variety Name: Date submitted November21,2001
Experimental designations: ZS 9992