1. ZG 9480 is a synthetic variety with 150 parent clones. Parent clones trace to one population selected for resistance verticillium wilt, anthracnose (Race 1), spotted alfalfa aphid, blue alfalfa aphid, pea aphid, southern root knot nematode and survival under intense grazing pressure by beef. Phenotypic recurrent selection was used. Final selections were made from a grazing survival trial at Tifton Georgia. Parentage traces to 13R Supreme (100%). Approximate germplasm source contributions are: M.falcata (0%), Ladak (0%), M. varia (0%), Turkistan (30¡/O), Flemish (0 Chilean ( 0%). Peruvian (0%), Indian (0%). African (70%), Arabian (0%), and unknown (0%). Breeder seed (Syn 1) was produced under field isolation near Nampa, Idaho in 1993.
2. ZG 9480 is adapted and intended for use in Central and Southern California and the lower elevations of Arizona and New Mexico. This variety has been tested in California.
3. Fall dormancy is similar to Pio 5715. Flower color of 98% purple, and 1% variegated and less than 1% cream, yellow and white.
4. ZG 9480 has high resistance to bacterial wilt, fusarium wilt, spotted alfalfa aphid; resistance to phytopthora root rot, and southern root knot nematode, moderate resistance to anthracnose (Race 1), verticillium wilt, stem nematode, pea aphid and blue alfalfa aphid
5. Seed increase is limited to one generation each of breeder (Syn 1), Foundation (Syn 2 )and certified (Syn 3) seed classes. Certified seed may be produced from either breeder or foundation classes. A 1, 3 and 6 year stand life is permitted on fields producing breeder, foundation and certified classes, respectively. Foundation seed production outside the area of adaptation, is limited to single-season production (non- overwintering). Second year of production maybe allowed with inspection and approval by breeder prior second year of productions. Breeder seed was produced in 1993. ABI will maintain sufficient stocks for the projected life of the variety.
6. Certified seed will be available in 1997
7. Plant variety protection will not be applied for.
8. This information can be forwarded to the PVP office.
9. Variety Name: Date submitted November 19, 1996
Experimental designations: ZG 9480 13R Supreme GZ
Page 11 of 11 (1996)