1. WinterMax has 324 parent plants tracing to Quantum 72% and ABI 9031 28%. Both Quantum and ABI 9031were seeded into replicated grazing trials near Warrensburg, MO in March of 1991. Plots were grazed continuously for 70 days in 1991 and 155 days each in 1992 and 1993. In October of 1993 when stands had declined to about 10% plots were dug with the healthiest plants having large symmetrical crowns saved. Breeder seed (syn 1) was produced in the greenhouse on the original 324 plants and harvested in bulk in the spring of1994. Additional breeder seed was produced in the field near Nampa, ID in 1994 from the original parent plants and approximately 15 cuttings of each clone transplanted at random and harvested in bulk.
2. WinterMax appears to be adapted to and is intended for use in the North Central Region of the U.S. It is intended for use as a grazing crop as well as for making stored feed.
3. Fall dormancy of WinterMax is similar to Vernal. Flower color is approximately 68% purple and 31% variegated with a trace of cream, white and yellow. Tolerance to intensive grazing is better than Alfagraze.
4. WinterMax has high resistance to bacterial wilt, Fusarium wilt, Verticillium wilt, anthracnose (race 1) and Phytophthora root rot, resistance to Aphanomyces root rot (race 1) and stem nematode, and moderate resistance to pea aphid. It has not been tested for reaction to spotted alfalfa aphid, blue alfalfa aphid and root }not nematode.
5. Seed increase is limited to one generation each of breeder (syn 1), foundation (syn 2) and certified (syn 3) seed classes. Certified seed may be produced from either breeder or foundation classes. A 1, 3 and 6 year stand life is permitted on fields producing breeder, foundation and certified seed classes respectively. Foundation seed production is limited to the Pacific Northwest. Breeder seed was produced in 1994. ABI will maintain sufficient seed stocks for the life of the variety.
6. Certified seed will be available in 1997.
7. Plant variety protection will not be applied for.
8. This information can be forwarded to the PVP office.
9. Variety name WinterMax
Experiment designations ZG 9429
Date NA&MLVRB first accepted this variety January 1997
Dates previous amendments were accepted
Date this amendment submitted November 2000