1. Vitro is a 188-plant synthetic variety resulting from phenotypic recurrent selection for high forage quality (high in vitro digestibility, high crude protein, and low acid and neutral detergent fibers) using wet chemistry techniques and Near Infrared Reflectance Spectroscopy. Source material traces to WL 252 HQ and Ovation. Approximate germplasm source contributions are: M. falcata- 13%; Ladak - 21%; M. varia - 30%; Turkistan - 5%; and Flemish - 31%.
2. Vitro is adapted for use in the North Central and East Central regions of the U.S. Vitro has been yield tested in Illinois, Pennsylvania, and Wisconsin.
3. Flower color of Vitro at Syn 2 approximates 100% purple with a trace of cream, variegated, and white. The winter survival of Vitro is similar to Vernal (Class 2), and the fall dormancy of Vitro is similar to Pioneer 5246 (Class 3).
4. Vitro has high resistance to anthracnose (Race 1), bacterial wilt, Fusarium wilt, Phytophthora root rot, and Verticillium wilt; and resistance to Aphanomyces root rot (Race 1), stem nematode, pea aphid, and spotted alfalfa aphid. Reaction to blue alfalfa aphid and root knot nematode has not been adequately tested.
5. Breederseed (Syn 1) was produced in 1993 on 188 plants under cage isolation at Bakersfield, CA. Sufficient Foundation (Syn 2) seed will be produced for the expected life of the variety and will be maintained by W-L Research. One generation of Breeder (Syn 1) and two generations each of Foundation (Syn 2 or 3) and Certified (Syn 3 or 4) seed are recognized. The maximum permitted length of stand for Foundation and Certified seed fields are 3 and 5 years, respectively. Foundation seed must be produced above 40 degrees North latitude. Production of Syn 3 Foundation seed requires consent of the breeder.
6. Certified seed will be marketed in 1997.
7. It is undecided whether application will be made for Plant Variety Protection.
8. The information in this application can be turned over to the PVP office.
9. Variety Name: Vitro Date Submitted: December 1996
Experimental Designation: 93-131