1. Plant selection criteria included plant vigor, seed production, healthy roots and resistance to Fusarium Wilt. Spotted Alfalfa Aphid Blue Alfalfa Aphid and Southern Root Knot Nematode (M. incognita).
2. SW 8829 is adapted to the central and southern San Joaquin Valley areas of California these are the areas of intended use and locations of yield tests.
3. Fall dormancy SW 8829 is 8, similar to the FD 8 check variety Pierce. Flower color is 98 1/2 % purple, 1/2 % cream, 1/2% variegated and 1/2% white in the Syn. 3 generation.
4. SW 8829 is highly resistant to Fusarium Wilt, Spotted Alfalfa Aphid, Blue Alfalfa Aphid and Southern Root Knot Nematode (M.. incognita); resistant to Bacterial Wilt, Phytophthora Root Rot, Stem Nematode (Ditylenchus dipsaci) and Pea Aphid; and has low resistance to Anthracnose (Race 1). SW 8829 was not tested for resistance to Aphanomyces Root Rot (Race 1) and Verticillium Wilt.
5. Breeder seed was produced in 1997. S & W Seed Company will maintain seed stocks of this variety. Under certification the classes of seed will be Breeder, Foundation, and Certified. Foundation seed will be produced from, Breeder seed and/or Foundation seed. Foundation seed will be used to produce Certified seed. Length of stand life allowed for Foundation and Certified seed is four and six years respectively. Breeder, foundation and certified seed production is limited to the San Joaquin Valley of California.
6. Certified seed will be available for sale in the Fall of 2003,
7. No decision has been made regarding Plant Variety Protection.
8. The information may be sent to the P.V.P. office.
9. Variety name: SW 8829 Date submitted: November 1, 2001 Experimental Designations: SW 8829 and SW 8725HS.