1. SW 9500 is a 147 plant synthetic variety developed from a cross of two populations, SW 9104 (U.C. 195 plant selections for disease free roots) and SW 9112 (U.C. 332 plant selections for downy mildew resistance and salt tolerance). Plants were cross pollinated in a cage using both honey bees and leaf cutter bees. Plants were selected from field nurseries near El Centro, Merced, Visalia and Mendota, California. Selection criteria included plant persietance, plant vigor, disease free roots, seed yields and downy mildew resistance. Estimated germ plasm sources are: African (47%), Indian (22%), Turkistan (15%), Chilean (8%), and unknown (8%).
2. SW 9500 alfalfa is adapted to areas of California where Fall forage is desired and varieties of dormancy 9 are grown. Yield tests are currently under way in California. Use is intended in the San Joaquin and Imperial Valleys and in the Blythe area of California.
3. Fall dormancy of SW 9500 is more than CUF 101. Flower color is 99% purple and 1% variegated bloom in the syn. 3 generation.
4. SW 9500 is highly resistant to Fusarium wilt Southern root knot nematode, Pea aphid and Spotted alfalfa aphid, and resistant to Phytophthora root rot and Blue alfalfa aphid. It has low resistance to Bacterial wilt. SW 9500 was not tested for Anthracnose, Verticillium wilt, stem nematode and Aphanomyces root rot (race 1).
5. Breeders seed was produced in 1993. S & W Seed Company will maintain sufficient Foundation seed for the projected life of this variety. Under certification the classes of seed will be Breeder, Foundation and Certified. Foundation seed will be produced from Breeders seed and/or Foundation seed. Foundation seed will be used to produce Certified seed. Length of stand life allowed for Foundation and Certified seed is four and six years respectively.
6. Certified seed will be available for sale in the Fall of 1998.
7. Application will not be made for P.V.P.
8. This information can be sent to the P.V.P. office.
9. Variety: SW 9500 Date Submitted: November 1, 1997
Experimental designations: SW 9404