1. SW 9400 is a 172 plant synthetic variety developed from a cross of two populations, SW 14 Vw and SW 9309 (UC-AV89-14c plant selections). Plants were cross pollinated in a cage using both honey bees and leaf cutter bees. Criteria for plant selections included resistance to Verticillium Wilt, Phytophthora root rot, Fusarium wilt, spotted alfalfa aphid, southern root, knot nematodes, plant vigor, fine stems and high seed yields. Estimated germ plasm sources are: African (58%), Indian (20%), Turkistan (12%), Chilean (4%), Ladak (1%), M. varia (1%), Flemish (1%), Peruvian (1%), and unknown (2%).
2. SW 9400 alfalfa is adapted to areas of California where Fall forage is desired and varieties of dormancy ratings 8 and 9 are grown. Yield tests have been conducted in the San Joaquin Valley and in the Blythe area of Southern California. Use is intended in these areas and in similar hot climate areas of Mexico.
3. Fall dormancy of SW 9400 is 9. Flower color is 99% purple, 1% variegated bloom and a trace of white bloom in the syn. 3 generation.
4. SW 9400 is highly resistant to Fusarium wilt and spotted alfalfa aphid, and is resistant to Phytophthora root rot and Southern root-know nematode (M. Incognita). It is moderately resistant to Verticillium wilt, Blue alfalfa aphid, and pea aphid, and has low resistance to Bacterial wilt. Stem nematode and Northern root-knot nematode (M. hapla). SW 9400 was not tested for Aphanomyces root rot (race 1) or for Anthracnose.
5. Breeder seed was produced in 1993. S & W Seed Company will maintain sufficient Foundation seed for the projected life of this variety. Under certification the classes of seed will be Breeder, Foundation and Certified. Foundation seed will be produced from Breeders seed and/or Foundation seed. Foundation seed will be used to produce Certified seed. Length of stand life allowed for Foundation and Certified seed is four and six years respectively.
6. Certified seed will be available for sale in the Fall of 1998.
7. AppXlication will not be made for P.V.P.
8. This information can be sent to the P.V.P. office.
9. Variety: SW 9400 Date Submitted: November 1, 1997
Experimental designations: SW 9406, 8406 and 9306