1. SW 9301 is a 140 clone synthetic variety. It was developed by crossing plants from SW 9112 (UC 332 selections for Pea Aphid and Anthracnose resistance), SW 9202 (cross of CUF 101, Pierce, Florida 77 and WL 514), and SW 9204 (cross of CUF 101 and UC Cibola). SW 9202 and SW 9204 clone selections were made from a two year old seed production trial at Mendota, CA. Criteria for these selections included seed yield, plant vigor, resistance to Spotted Alfalfa Aphid, Pea Aphid, Blue Alfalfa Aphid, Southern Root Knot Nematode and Fusarium Wilt. SW 9112 clone selections were seedling survivors of Pea Aphid and Anthracnose resistance screening and were transplanted to the caged plot where all plants were cross pollinated using both honey bees and leaf cutter bees to produce Syn.l seed. Estimated germplasm sources are: African (62%), Indian (21%), Turkistan (10%), Chilean (4%), Peruvian (1%), Arabian (1%) and M.varia (1%).
2. SW 9301 alfalfa is adapted to areas of California where Fall forage is desired and varieties of dormancy ratings 8 and 9 are grown. Yield tests are currently under way in California, Arizona, Mexico and Argentina. These areas and Saudi Arabia are intended use areas.
3. Fall dormancy of SW 9301 is 9. Flower color is predominantly purple (99%), with an occasional variegated bloom (1%) in the Syn.3 generation.
4. SW 9301 is highly resistant to Fusarium Wilt, Spotted Alfalfa Aphid, and Southern Root Knot Nematode (M.incognita). It is resistant to Pea Aphid and Blue Alfalfa Aphid. It is moderately resistant to Bacterial Wilt, Phytophthora Root Rot and Stem nematode. SW 9301 was not adequately tested for Verticillium Wilt, Aphanomyces Root Rot (race 1) and Anthracnose (race 1).
5. Breeders seed was produced in a block of plants grown at Mendota, California. Under certification the classes of seed will be breeder, foundation and certified. Foundation seed will be produced from breeder seed and/or foundation seed. Foundation seed or breeders seed will be used to produce certified seed. S & W Seed Company will maintain seed stocks of the variety. Length of stand life allowed for Foundation and Certified seed is 4 and 6 years respectively.
6. Certified seed will be available for sale in the Fall of 1997.
7. Application has been made for Plant Variety Protection. Certification option is not requested.
8. This information can be sent to PVP office.
9. Variety name: SW 9301 Date submitted: November 10, 1996 Experimental designations: SW 9301 and 9301