1. Supreme is a synthetic variety with 225 parent plants which were selected sequentially for multifoliolate leaf expression and for resistance to Phytophthora root rot and Aphanomyces root rot (race 1). Parent plants were selected from crosses between selections from three year old Minnesota, Iowa, and Wisconsin yield trials and various populations that were developed by phenotypic recurrent selection for high relative feed value (using Near Infrared Reflectance Spectroscopy), and for resistance to one or more of the following pests: bacterial wilt, Fusarium Wilt, Verticillium wilt, Phytophthora root rot, Aphanomyces root rot (race 1), anthracnose (race 1), and Leptosphaerulina leafspot. Parentage of Supreme traces to the following germplasm sources: 9326, Maximum L WinterKing, and miscellaneous Cal/West Seeds breeding populations. Approximate germplasm source contributions are as follows: M.falcata (8%), Ladak (G%), M.varia (25%), Turkistan (4¡/O), Flemish (48%), and Chilean (9¡/O).
2. Supreme is adapted to the North Central and East Central areas of the U.S. and is intended for use in the North Central, East Central, and Great Plains areas of the U.S. Supreme has been tested in Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa, and Pennsylvania
3. Supreme is a moderately dormant variety with fall dormancy similar to FD class 4 check varieties. Flower color observed in the Syn.2 generation is approximately 98% purple, 2% variegated, with a trace of white, cream, and yellow.
4. Supreme has high resistance to anthracnose (race 1), bacterial wilt, Fusarium wilt, Verticillium wilt, Phytophthora root rot, and Aphanomyces root rot (race 1), with resistance to pea aphid, and moderate resistance to stem nematode. Reaction to spotted alfalfa aphid, blue alfalfa aphid and root knot nematode has not been adequately tested.
5. Seed increase of Supreme is on a limited generation basis with one generation of breeder and two generations of the foundation and certified seed classes. Breeder (Syn. 1), foundation (Syn.2 or Syn.3), and certified (Syn.3 or Syn.4) classes will be recognized. Production of Syn.3 foundation seed requires consent of the breeder. Breeder seed was produced under cage isolation near Woodland, California in 1997. Sufficient foundation seed for the projected life of the variety will be maintained by Cal/West Seeds. Stands of foundation and certified seed fields are limited to 3 and 6 years, respectively.
6. Certified seed of Supreme will be available in 2002.
7. No decision has been made regarding Plant Variety Protection.
8. This information can be forwarded to the P.V.P. office.
9. Variety Name: Supreme Date submitted: November30.2001.
Experimental Designation: CW 73029.