1. Rodeo is a synthetic variety with 190 parent clones. Parent clones trace to two populations selected for resistance verticillium wilt, Anthracnose (Race 1), spotted alfalfa aphid, blue alfalfa aphid, pea aphid, southern root knot nematode and survival under intense grazing pressure by beef. Phenotypic recurrent selection was used. Final selections were made from a grazing survival trial at Tifton Georgia. Parentage traces to Cuf 101 (80%), and a non-dormant experimental populations (20%). Approximate germplasm source contributions are: M. falcata (0%), Ladak (1%), M. varia (2%), Turkistan (11%), Flemish (1%), Chilean ( 7%), Peruvian (2%), Indian (23%), African (53%), Arabian (0%), and unknown (0%). Breeder seed (Syn 1) was produced under field isolation near Nampa, Idaho in 1993.
3. Fall dormancy of Rodeo is similar to Moapa 69. Flower color of 98% purple, and 1% variegated and less than 1% cream, yellow and white.
4. Rodeo has high resistance to Fusarium wilt; resistance to Bacterial wilt, spotted alfalfa aphid, pea aphid, blue alfalfa aphid, stem nematode, Phytophthora root rot, and southern root knot nematode; moderate resistance Verticillium wilt, and anthracnose (Race 1).
5. Seed increase is limited to one generation each of breeder (Syn 1), Foundation (Syn 2 )and certified (Syn 3) seed classes. Certified seed may be produced from either breeder or foundation classes. A 1, 3 and 6 year stand life is permitted on fields producing breeder, foundation and certified classes, respectively. Foundation seed production outside the area of adaptation, is limited to single-season production (non-overwintering). Second year of production maybe allowed with inspection and approval by breeder prior second year of productions. Breeder seed was produced in 1993. ABI will maintain sufficient stocks for the projected life of the variety.
6. Certified seed will be available in 1997
8. This information can be forwarded to the PVP office.
9. Variety Name: Rodeo Date submitted November 19, 1998
Experimental designations: ZG 9490, ABI 9299 GZ