1. Pristine is a synthetic variety with 16 parent clones. Plants were selected based on clonal and/or progeny tests for forage yield, forage quality, fall dormancy reaction, persistence, multifoliolate leaf expression, and/or resistance to one or more of the following pests: bacterial wilt, Fusarium wilt, anthracnose (race 1), Phytophthora root rot, Aphanomyces root rot (race 1), and spotted aphid. A combination of genotypic and phenotypic recurrent selection was used in the development of this variety. Parent clones trace to the following varieties: 5454, DK127, Sterling, Excalibur II, 330 , Rushmore , and LegenDairy . Approximate germplasm source contributions are: M.falcata (3%), Ladak (4%), M.varia (25%), Turkistan (5%), Flemish (59%), and Chilean (4%).
2. This variety is adapted to the North Central U.S. This variety has been tested in Wisconsin, Minnesota and Iowa and will be used in the northern U.S.
3. This variety has fall dormancy similar to FD4 checks and winter survival similar to WH2 checks. Flower color (Syn2) is 89% purple and 11% variegated with a trace of yellow, cream and white. Pristine has high multifoliolate leaf expression.
4. This variety has high resistance to bacterial wilt, Fusarium wilt, anthracnose (race 1), and Phytophthora root rot; resistance to Verticillium wilt, pea aphid, Aphanomyces root rot (race 1) and spotted alfalfa; and moderate resistance to stem nematode. Reaction to blue alfalfa aphid and root knot nematode have not been tested.
5. Seed increase is on a limited generation basis with one generation of breeder and two generations of foundation and certified seed classes. Breeder (Syn1), foundation (Syn2 or Syn3), and certified (Syn3 or Syn4) classes will be recognized. Production of Syn3 foundation seed requires consent of the breeder. Breeder seed was produced near Nampa, Idaho in 1994. Sufficient foundation seed for the projected life of the variety will be maintained by Forage Genetics. Stands of foundation and certified seed fields are limited to 3 and 6 years, respectively.
6. Certified seed will be marketed in 1997.
7. No decision has been made concerning Plant Variety Protection Act.
8. The information in this application can be forwarded to the PVP office.
9. Variety name: Pristine
Experimental designations: FG 4L68
Date NA&MLVRB first accepted this variety: January 1998
Dates previous amendments were accepted: none
Date this amendment submitted: November 1, 1998