1. Magna 9 is a 90 clone synthetic variety. Parent plants were selected through phenotypic recurrent selection for seed yield, forage yield, persistence, resistance to Phytophthora root rot, spotted alfalfa aphid, pea aphid and blue aphid. Parent plants trace back to WL 605, 5929, Sundor, Florida 77, and Dairyland experimental DS 514. Parent clones were intercrossed in isolation in Sloughhouse, CA in 1988 to produce Syn. 1 as Breeder Seed. Approximate germplasm source contributions are as follows: Chilean (10%), Indian (15%), African (40%), Arabian (3%), and Unknown (32%).
2. Magna 9 is adapted for use in the Southwest Region of the United States and Argentina. It has been yield tested in California and Argentina. The intended use of Magna 9 is the Southwest United States, Mexico, and Argentina.
3. Magna 9 is a very non-dormant variety with fall dormancy similar to Cuf 101. Flower color observed in the Syn. 2 generation is approximately 94% purple, 1% cream, 1% yellow, 4% variegated, and trace amounts of white.
4. Magna 9 has high resistance to Fusarium wilt, Phytophthora root rot, spotted alfalfa aphids, blue alfalfa aphids, southern root know nematodes (M. incognita), and is resistant to pea alfalfa aphid and northern root knot nematode (M. hapla). Magna 9 has moderate resistance to stem nematodes and anthracnose (Race 1) and low resistance to bacterial wilt. Reaction to Verticillium wilt, and Aphanomyces root rot (Race 1) have not been adequately tested.
5. Breeder seed (Syn. 1) was produced by intercrossing parental clones in isolation at Sloughhouse, California in 1988. Foundation seed (Syn. 2) was produced from Breeder seed and Certified seed (Syn. 3) from Foundation. One generation each of Breeder, Foundation, and Certified seed classes are recognized. A maximum of three years each are permitted on Breeder and Foundation seed with six years for Certified seed. Sufficient Breeder seed for the projected life of variety will be maintained by Dairyland Research International.
6. Certified seed will be available in 1996.
7. Plant Variety Protection is anticipated.
8. As a means of added varietal protection, information included with Application for Review of Alfalfa Variety for Certification may be provided to the PVP office.
Variety Name: Magna 9 Date Submitted 11-25-96
Experimental designations: DS8802, 8802, AD 8802, DK192