1. MAGNA 7 is a 238-plant synthetic variety resulting from phenotypic recurrent selection. Source material traces to WL 457, Diamond, Pioneer 5683, and Sutter. Sixty two percent of the plants were progeny tested for the following traits: forage yield, seed yield, persistence, lodging tolerance, resistance to Phytophthora root rot, anthracnose, spotted aphids, pea aphids, and blue aphids. Thirty eight percent of the germplasms were mass selected for seed yield, forage quality, forage yield and persistence. The two germplasms were inter-crossed in isolation to produce breeder seed (Syn 1) in 1991. Approximate germplasm source contributions are as follows: Ladak (16%) M. varia (4%), Turkistan (5%), Flemish (2%), Chilean (21%), Peruvian (17%) Indian (20%) African (15%).
2. MAGNA 7 is adapted to the Southwestern Region of the United States and Argentina. It has been yield tested in California, Wisconsin, and Argentina. Its intended area for use is in the Southwest Region, Great Plains, Southeast United States, Mexico and Argentina.
3. MAGNA 7 is similar to Sutter in fall dormancy. Flower color of the Syn. 2 generation is 95% moderately dark purple, 5% variegated dark purple with trace amounts of cream, yellow and white.
4. MAGNA 7 has high resistance to Fusarium wilt, Phytophthora root rot, stem nematode, pea aphids, blue aphids, spotted aphids and southern root knot nematode (M. incognita). MAGNA 7 is resistant to northern root knot nematode (M. hapla) and anthracnose (Race 1). It has moderate resistance to bacterial wilt and Aphanomyces root rot (Race 1). MAGNA 7 has not been tested for Verticillium wilt.
5. Breeder seed (Syn.1) was produced by inter-crossing two germplasms in isolation at Sloughhouse, California in 1991. Foundation Seed (Syn.2) was produced from Breeder seed and Certified seed (Syn.3) from Foundation seed. one generation each of Breeder, foundation and certified seed classes are recognized. A maximum of three years each are permitted on Breeder and Foundation seed with six years for Certified seed. Sufficient accent breeder seed for the projected life of the variety will be maintained by Dairyland Research International.
6. Seed will be marketed in the fall of 1997 in the United States.
7. No decision has been made concerning Plant Variety Protection.
8. As a means of added variety protection, information included with Application for Review of Alfalfa Variety for Certification may be provided to the P.V P. office.
9. Variety Name: MAGNA 7 Date Submitted: 11-25-96
Experimental Designations: 30066, DS671FQ,14