1. Haymaker II is a synthetic variety with 147 parent plants which were selected sequentially for multifoliolate leaf expression and for resistance to Phytophthora root rot and Aphanomyces root rot (race I). Parent plants were selected from crosses between selections from various populations in three year old Wisconsin nurseries. Source populations were developed by phenotypic recurrent selection for high relative feed value (using Near Infrared Reflectance Spectroscopy), and for resistance to one or more of the following pests: bacterial wilt, Verticillium wilt, Phytophthora root rot, Aphanomyces root rot (race 1), anthracnose (race 1), and Leptosphaerulina Ieafspot. Parentage of Haymaker II traces to the following germplasm sources: Jewel , 2333 , WL 320 , Precedent, VS-775, Achieva , Encore, and Prism. Approximate germplasm source contributions are as follows: M. falcata (8%), Ladak (6%), M. varia (27%), Turkistan (5%), Flemish (45%), and Chilean (9%).
2. Haymaker II is adapted to the North Central, East Central, and Great Plains areas of the U. S. ,and is intended for use in the North Central, East Central, and Great Plains areas of the U. S. . Haymaker II has been tested in Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa, Michigan, Nebraska, and Pennsylvania.
3. Haymaker II is a moderately dormant variety with fall dormancy similar to Saranac. Flower color observed in the Syn2 generation is approximately 99% purple and 1% variegated with a trace of cream, white, and yellow.
4. Haymaker II has high resistance to anthracnose (race 1), bacterial wilt, Fusarium wilt, Phytophthora root rot, and stem nematode, and resistance to Verticillium wilt, Aphanomyces root rot (race 1), and spotted alfalfa aphid. Reaction to pea aphid, blue alfalfa aphid,and root knot nematode has not been adequately tested.
5. Seed increase of Haymaker II is on a limited generation basis with one generation of breeder and two generations of the foundation and certified seed classes. Breeder (Syn. 1), foundation (Syn. 2 or Syn. 3), and certified (Syn. 3 or Syn. 4) classes will be recognized. Production of Syn. 3 foundation seed requires the consent of the breeder. Breeder seed was produced under cage isolation at Woodland, California in 1991. Sufficient foundation seed for the projected life of the variety will be maintained by Cal/West Seeds. Stands of foundation and certified seed fields are limited to 3 and 6 years, respectively.
6. Certified seed of Haymaker II will be available in 1997.
7. No decision has been made regarding Plant Variety Protection.
8. This information can be forwarded to the PVP office.
9. Variety Name:Haymakeer II
Experimental Designation: CW 1436
Date NA & MLVRB first accepted this variety: January 1997 Date previous amendments were accepted: Date this amendment submitted: December 1 1997