1. Grasis II is a synthetic variety with 301 parent plants which were selected sequentially Phytophthora root rot, anthracnose (race 1), and seed yield. Parent plants were selected from crosses between selections from various populations developed by a combination of phenotypic recurrent selection and strain crossing with selection for one or more of the following pests: Fusarium wilt, Verticillium wilt, anthracnose (race 1), Phytophthora root rot, blue alfalfa aphid, and spotted alfalfa aphid. Parentage of Grasis II traces to the following germplasm sources: CW 3956, Mecca, DK 189, and UC 332. Approximate germplasm source contributions are as follows: Turkistan (12%) Flemish (4%), Chilean (8%), Peruvian (4%), Indian (22%), and African (50%).
2. Grasis II is adapted to the Southwestern area of the U.S. and is intended for use in the Southwestern U.S., Mexico, and Argentina. Grasis II has been tested in California.
3. Grasis II is a very nondormant variety with fall dormancy similar to CUF 101. Flower color observed in the Syn.2 generation is greater than 99% purple, with a trace of variegated, white, cream, and yellow.
4. Grasis II has high resistance to anthracnose (race 1), Fusarium wilt, Phytophthora root rot, spotted alfalfa aphid, blue alfalfa aphid, and pea aphid, and moderate resistance to Verticillium wilt. Reaction to bacterial wilt, Aphanomyces root rot (race 1), stem nematode, and root knot nematode has not been adequately tested.
5. Seed increase of Grasis II is on a limited generation basis with one generation of breeder and two generations of the foundation and certified seed classes. Breeder (Syn. l), foundation (Syn.2 or Syn.3), and certified (Syn.3 or Syn.4) classes will be recognized. Production of Syn.3 foundation seed requires consent of the breeder. Breeder seed was produced under cage isolation near Merced, California in 1994. Sufficient foundation seed for the projected life of the variety will be maintained by Cal/West Seeds. Stands of foundation and certified seed fields are limited to 3 and 6 years, respectively.
6. Certified seed of Grasis II will be available in 1999.
7. No decision has been made regarding Plant Variety Protection.
8. This information can be forwarded to the P.V.P. office.
9. Variety Name: GrasisII.
Experimental Designation: CW 4978.
Date NA&MLVRB first accepted this variety: January 1998.
Date previous amendments were accepted:
Date this amendment submitted: November 27, 2001.