1. Forecast 1000 is a 31 clone synthetic variety. Parent plants were selected for the three cycles for the early maturity trait in space planted nurseries. Parent plants were concurrently selected for persistence, spring vigor, forage yield along with resistance to bacterial wilt, Fusarium wilt and Phytophthora root rot. Parent plant trace back to Kitawakaba, Tachiwakaba, Vertus, Saranac, Magnum, Dart and Dairyland experimentals. Dairyland experimentals trace back to Ranger, Teweles Multistrain and unknown germplasm. Parent plants were hand intercrossed in the greenhouse in Clinton, Wisconsin in 1991 to produce Syn.1 as Breeder Seed. Estimate of the percentage of germplasm sources are Turkistan(25), Flemish(40) and Unknown(35).
2. Forecast lOOO is adapted to the North Central Region of the United States. Forecast 1000 has been tested in Wisconsin, Minnesota and Michigan and intended for use in the northern half of the United States.
3. Forecast 1000 is a dormant alfalfa similar to Ranger with flower color percentages of purple(95), variegated(5), with trace amounts of cream, white and X yellow in the Syn.2 generation. Forecast 1000 is an early maturity alfalfa compared to Magnum IV, WL322HQ and Vernal.
4. Forecast 1000 has high resistance to bacterial wilt, Fusarium wilt, Phytophthora root rot: resistance to anthracnose(Racal), Verticillium wilt, Aphanomyces root rot(Racal), stem nematode, blue alfalfa aphid; moderate resistance to pea aphid, spotted alfalfa aphid and northern root-knot nematode.
5. Breeder Seed was produced by hand intercrossing parent plants in a greenhouse in 1991 to produce Syn.1 at Clinton, WI. Seed from parent plants were equally bulked. Foundation Seed(Syn.2) was produced from Breeder Seed and in sufficient quantity for the expected life of the variety and maintained by Dairyland Seed Company. Certified Seed(Syn.2 or 3) maybe produced from either Foundation or Certified Seed. Length of stand allowed for Foundation Seed is three years and five years for Certified Seed.
6. Forecast lOOO was offered for sale in 1996.
7. Application for Plant Variety Protection is anticipated.
8. Information in the NAVRB application can be forwarded to the PVP office.
9. Variety name: Forecast 1000 Date Submitted: November 26, 1996
Experimental Designations: DS9477, DS9551