1. DK 191 is a synthetic variety with 87 parent plants which were selected sequentially for resistance to Phytophthora root rot and Anthracnose (race 1). Parent plants were selected from crosses between selections from four year old California yield trials and various populations which were developed by a combination of phenotypic recurrent selection and strain crossing with selection for resistance to one or more of the following pests: Fusarium wilt, Verticillium wilt, anthracnose (race 1), Phytophthora root rot, blue alfalfa aphid, and spotted alfalfa aphid. Parentage of DK 191 traces to the following germplasm sources: CW 2817, WL 605, CW 2820, Sundor, and VS-446. Approximate germplasm source contributions are as follows: Ladak (1%), M.varia (4%), Turkistan (15%), Flemish (5%), and Chilean (8%), Peruvian (1%), Indian (21%), African (42%), and Unknown (3%).
2. DK 191 is adapted to the Southwestern U.S. and is intended for use in the Southwestern U.S., Mexico, and Argentina. DK 191 has been tested in California and Mexico.
3. DK 191 is a very non-dormant variety with fall dormancy similar to CUF 101. Flower color observed in the Syn.2 generation is approximately 100% purple.
4. DK 191 has high resistance to anthracnose (race 1), Fusarium wilt, Phytophthora root rot, spotted alfalfa aphid, blue alfalfa aphid, pea aphid, and Southern Root Knot Nematode, resistance to stem nematode, and moderate resistance to bacterial wilt and Verticillium wilt. Reaction to Aphanomyces root rot (race 1) has not been adequately tested.
5. Seed increase of DK 191 is on a limited generation basis with one generation of breeder and two generations of the foundation and certified seed classes. Breeder (Syn.1), foundation (Syn.2 or Syn.3), and certified (Syn.3 or Syn.4) classes will be recognized. Production of Syn.3 foundation seed requires consent of the breeder. Breeder seed was produced under cage isolation at Woodland, California in 1993. Sufficient foundation seed for the projected life of the variety will be maintained by Cal/West Seeds. Stands of foundation and certified seed fields are limited to 3 and 6 years, respectively.
7. No decision has been made regarding Plant Variety Protection.
8. This information can be forwarded to the PVP office.
9. Variety Name: DK 191.
Experimental Designation: CW 3988.
Date NA&MLVRB first accepted this variety: January 1997.
Date previous amendments were accepted:
Date this amendment submitted: December 1, 1998.