1. DK 142 is a synthetic variety with 186 parent plants which were selected sequentially for multifoliolate leaf 'expression and for resistance to Phytophthora root rot and Aphanomyces root rot (race 1). Parent plants were selected from a polycross among selections from three year old Wisconsin yield trials. Parentage of DK 142 traces to the following germplasm sources: DK 133, Bolt ML, Benchmark::, and Class. Approximate germplasm source contributions are as follows: M. falcata (7%), Ladak (6%), M. varia (24%), Turkistan (3%), Flemish (49%), and Chilean (11%).
2. DK 142 is adapted to the North Central U. S. and is intended for use in the northern and central U. S. . DK 142 has been tested in Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Iowa.
3. DK 142 is a moderately dormant variety with fall dormancy similar to Saranac. Flower color observed in the SYN2 generation is approximately 99% purple, 1% variegated, and a trace of cream, white and yellow. DK 142 has greater multifoliolate leaf expression than MultiKing L
4. DK 142 has high resistance to bacterial wilt, Fusarium wilt, Phytophthora root rot, Aphanomyces root rot (race 1), and pea aphid with resistance to Verticillium wilt, anthracnose (race 1), spotted alfalfa aphid, and stem nematode. Reaction to root knot nematode and blue alfalfa aphid has not been adequately tested.
5. Seed increase of DK 142 is on a limited generation basis with two generations of the breeder, foundation, and certified seed classes. Breeder (Syn. 1 or Syn. 2), foundation (Syn. 2 or Syn3), and certified (Syn. 3 or Syn. 4) classes will be recognized. Production of Syn2 breeder or Syn. 3 foundation seed requires the consent of the breeder. Breeder seed 'was produced under cage isolation at Woodland, California in 1993. Sufficient foundation seed for the projected life of the variety will be maintained by Cal/West Seeds. Stands of foundation and certified seed fields are limited to 3 and 6 years, respectively.
6. Certified seed of DK 142 will be available in 1996.
7. No decision has been made regarding Plant Variety Protection.
S. This information can be forwarded to the PVP office.
9. Variety Name: DK 142. Experimental Designation: CW 3414
Date NA & MLVRB first accepted this variety: January 1996 Date previous amendments were accepted:
Date this amendment submitted: December I 1997