1. CW 3780 is a synthetic variety with 69 parent plants which were selected sequentially for resistance to Phytophthora root rot, Anthracnose (race 1), and seed yield. Parent plants were selected from crosses between selections from four year old California yield trials and various populations developed by a combination of phenotypic recurrent selection and strain crossing with selection for one or more of the following pests: Fusarium wilt, Verticillium wilt, anthracnose (race 1), Phytophthora root rot, blue alfalfa aphid and spotted alfalfa aphid. Parentage of CW 3780 traces to the following germplasm sources: Madera, Condor, DK 187, Yolo, Armona, Pierce, VS 148, GT13R+, Express, and miscellaneous Cal/West breeding lines. Approximate germplasm source contributions are as follows: M. varia (5%), Turkistan (25%), Flemish (3%), Chilean (10%), Peruvian (4%), Indian (16%), African (32%), and Unknown (5%).
2. CW 3780 is adapted to the Southwestern U.S. and is intended for use in the Southwestern U.S., Mexico, and Argentina. CW 3780 has been tested in California.
3. CW 3780 is a nondormant variety with fall dormancy similar to Sutter. FIower color observed in the Syn.2 generation is approximately 98% purple, 1% variegated, and 1% cream.
4. CW 3780 has high resistance to anthracnose (race 1), Fusarium wilt, Phytophthora root rot, spotted alfalfa aphid, blue alfalfa aphid, and pea aphid and resistance to Verticillium wilt. Reaction to bacterial wilt, Aphanomyces root rot (race l), hem nematode, and root knot nematode has not been adequately tested.
5. Seed increase of CW 378O is on a limited generation basis with one generation of breeder and two generations of the foundation, and certified seed classes. Breeder (Sync), foundation (Syn.2 or Syn.3), and certified (Syn.3 or Syn.4) classes will be recognized. Production of Syn.3 foundation seed requires the consent of the breeder. Breeder seed was produced under open isolation at Woodland, California in 1993. Sufficient foundation seed for the projected life of the variety will be maintained by Cal/West Seeds. Stands of foundation and certified seed fields are limited to 3 and 6 years, respectively.
6. Certified seed of CW 3780 will be available in 01997.
7. No decision has been made regarding Plant Variety Protection.
8. This information can be forwarded to the PVP office.
9. Variety Name: . Date submitted: 12/1/96. Experimental Designation: CW 3780