1. CW 3765 is a synthetic variety with 455 parent plants which were selected sequentially for resistance to Phytophthora root rot and Anthracnose (race 1). Parent plants were selected from crosses between selections from four year old California yield trials and various populations developed by a combination of phenotypic recurrent selection and strain crossing with selection for one or more of the following pests: Fusarium wilt, Verticillium wilt, anthracnose (race 1), Phytophthora root rot, blue alfalfa aphid, and spotted alfalfa aphid. Parentage of CW 3765 traces to tie following germplasm sources: Altiva, CW 2817, CW 2818, DK 189, Mecca, and UC 332. Approximate germplasm source contributions are as follows: M.falcata (1%), Ladak (1%), M.varia (5%), Turkistan (29%), Flemish (12%), Chilean (9%), Peruvian (3%), Indian (15%), African (18%), and Unknown (7%).
2. CW 3765 is adapted to the Southwestern U.S. and Mexico, and is intended for use in the Southwestern U.S., Mexico, and Argentina. CW 3765 has been tested if California and Mexico.
3. CW 3765 is a nondormant variety with fall dormancy similar to Sutter. Flower color observed in the Syn.2 generation is greater than 99% purple with a trace of variegated and cream.
4. CW 3765 has high resistance to anthracnose (race 1), Fusarium wilt, Phytophthora root rot, spotted alfalfa aphid, blue alfalfa aphid, and pea aphid and resistance to Verticillium wilt. Reaction to bacterial Aphanomyces root rot (race 1), stem nematode, and root knot nematode has not been adequately tested.
5. Seed increase of CW 3765 is on a limited generation basis with one generation of breeder and two generations of the foundation, and certified seed classes. Breeder (Syn.1), foundation (Syn.2 or Syn.3), and certified (Syn.3 or Syn.4) classes will be recognized. Production of Syn.3 foundation seed requires the consent of the breeder. Breeder seed was produced under cage isolation at Woodland, California in 1993. Sufficient foundation seed for the projected life of the variety will be maintained by Cal/West Seeds. Stands of foundation and certified seed fields are limited to 3 and 6 years, respectively.
6. Certified seed of CW 3765 will be available in 1997.
7. No decision has been made regarding Plant Variety Protection.
8. This information can be forwarded to the PVP office
9. Variety Name: . Date submitted: 12/1/96. Experimental Designation: CW 3765