1. CW 3433 is a synthetic variety with 179 parent plants which were selected sequentially for multifoliolate leaf expression and for resistance to Phytophthora root rot and Aphanomyces root rot trace 1). Parent plants were selected from crosses between selections from three year old Pennsylvania yield trials and various populations which were developed by phenotypic recurrent selection for high relative feed value (using Near Infrared Reflectance Spectroscopy), and for resistance to one or more of the following pests: bacterial wilt, Verticillium wilt, Phytophthora root rot, Aphanomyces root rot (race 1), anthracnose (race 1), and Leptosphaerulina leafspot. Parentage of CW 3433 traces to the following germplasm sources: MultiQueen, DK 133, Award, AlfaStar, Class, Bolt ML, and Benchmark. Approximate germplasm source contributions are as follows: M.falcata (7%), Ladak (6%), M.varia (25%), Turkistan (4%), Flemish (48%), and Chilean (10%).
2. CW 3433 is adapted to the North Central, East Central, and Great Plains areas of the U.S., and is intended for use in the North Central, East Central, and Great Plains areas of the U.S.. CW 3433 has been tested in Wisconsin, Minnesota. Iowa, Nebraska, and Pennsylvania.
3. CW 3433 is a moderately dormant variety with fall dormancy similar to Saranac. Flower color observed in the Syn.2 generation is approximately 95% purple and 5% variegated, with a trace of cream, white, and yellow.
4. CW 3433 has high resistance to anthracnose (race 1), bacterial wilt, Fusarium wilt, Phytophthora root rot, stem nematode, and pea aphid and resistance to Verticillium wilt, Aphanomyces root rot (race 1), and spotted alfalfa aphid Reaction to blue alfalfa aphid and root knot nematode has not been adequately tested.
5. Seed increase of CW 3433 is on a limited generation basis with one generation of breeder and two generations of the foundation. and certified seed classes. Breeder (Syn.ll, foundation (Syn.2 or Syn.3), and certified (Syn.3 or Syn.4)classes will be recognized. Production of Syn.3 foundation seed requires the consent of the breeder. Breeder seed was produced under cage isolation at Woodland, California in Sufficient foundation seed for the projected life of the variety will be maintained by Cal/West Seeds. Stands of foundation and certified seed fields are limited to 3 and 6 years, respectively.
6. Certified seed of CW 3433 will be available in 1997.
7. No decision has been made regarding Plant Variety Protection.
8. This information can be forwarded to the PVP office.
9. Variety Name: . Date submitted: 12/1/96. Experimental Designation: