1. CW 3307 is a synthetic variety with 201 parent plants which were selected sequentially for multifoliolate leaf expression and for resistance to Phytophthora root rot and Aphanomyces root rot (race 1). Parent plants were selected from crosses between selections from various populations in three year old Wisconsin nurseries. Source populations were developed by phenotypic recurrent selection for high relative feed value (using Near Infrared Reflectance Spectroscopy), and for resistance to one or more of the following pests: bacterial wilt, Verticillium wilt, Phytophthora root rot, Aphanomyces root rot (race 1), anthracnose (race 1), and Leptosphaerulina leafspot. Parentage of CW 3307 traces to the following germplasm sources: CIBA 2888, MultiQueen, AlfaStar, GH 767, and 329. Approximate germplasm source contributions are as follows: M.falcata (8%), Ladak (5%), M.varia (26%), Turkistan (5%), Flemish (46%), and Chilean (10%).
2. CW 3307 is adapted to the North Central and East Central areas of e U.S. and is intended for use in the North Central and East Central areas of the U.S. CW 3307 has been tested in Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa, and Pennsylvania. 3. CW 3307 is a dormant variety with fall dormancy similar to Ranger. Flower color observed in the Syn.2 generation is approximately 99% purple and 1% cream with a trace of variegated, white, and yellow.
4. CW 3307 has high resistance to anthracnose (race 1), bacterial wilt, Fusarium wilt, Verticillium wilt, Phytophthora root rot, Aphanomyces root rot (race l),and spotted alfalfa aphid and resistance to stem nematode and pea aphid. Reaction to blue alfalfa aphid and root knot nematode has not been adequately tested.
5. Seed increase of CW 3307 is on a limited generation basis with one generation of breeder and two generations of the foundation and certified seed classes. Breeder (Syn. l), foundation (Syn.2 or Syn.3), and certified (Syn.3 or Syn.4) classes will be recognized. Production of Syn.3 foundation seed requires the consent of the breeder. Breeder seed was produced under cage isolation at Woodland, California in1993. Sufficient foundation seed for the projected life of the variety will be maintained by Cal/West Seeds. Stands of foundation and certified seed fields are limited to 3 and 6 years, respectively.
6. Certified seed of CW 3307 will be available in l997.
7. No decision has been made regarding Plant Variety Protection.
8. This information can be forwarded to the PVP office.
9. Variety Name: . Date submitted: 12/1196. Experimental Designation:
CW 3307 .