1. AP 9182 is a synthetic variety with 250 parental clones. Parent trace to eight populations selected for resistance to verticillium wilt, anthracnose (Race 1), spotted alfalfa aphid, and blue alfalfa aphid. Recurrent phenotypic selection was used. Final selections were made from a space planted nursery near Kingsburg, California. Parentage traces to Cuf 101 (10%), Condor (10%), W1 516 (10%),W1457 (10%), Pioneer Brand 57I5 (10%). Sutter (10%) and various other non-dormant germplasms adapted to California (40%). Breeder seed (Syn 1) was produced on cuttings of the parental clones near Nampa, Idaho in 1991. Approximate germplasm source contributions are: M.falcata (2%), Ladak (1%), M. varia (1%), Turkistan (25%), Flemish (3%), Chilean (15%), Peruvian (1%). Indian (15%) African (2%), Arabian (1%), and Unknown (34%).
2. AP 9182 is intended for and adapted for use in Central and Southern California and the lower elevations of Arizona and New Mexico. AP 9182 has been tested in California.
3. Fall dormancy of AP 9182 is similar to Moapa 69. Flower color of Syn 2 generation is approximately 98% purple and 1% variegated with less than 1% cream, yellow and white.
4. AP 9182 has high resistance to spotted alfalfa aphid; resistance to bacterial wilt. fusarium wilt verticillium wilt, phvtophthora root rot and southern root knot nematode; Moderate resistance to anthracnose (Race 1), stem nematode, green pea aphid and blue alfalfa aphid. Reaction to Aphanomyces has not been tested
5. Seed increase is limited to one generation each of breeder (Syn 1), foundation (Syn 2) and certified (Syn 3) seed classes. Certified seed may be produced from either breeder or foundation classes. A 1, 3 and 6 year stand life is permitted on fields producing breeder, foundation and certified classes, respectively. Foundation seed production, outside the area of adaption, is limited to single-season production (non-overwintering). Second year of production may be allowed with inspection and approval by breeder prior to second year production. Breeder seed was produced in 1991. ABI will maintain sufficient stock for the projected life of the variety.
6. Certified seed will be available in 1997
7. Plant variety protection will not be applied for.
8. This information can be forwarded to the PVP office.
9. Variety Name: Date submitted November l9, 1996
Experimental designations: AP 9182 ABI 9182
Page 11 of 11 (1996)