1. AP 9098 is a synthetic variety with 150 parent clones. Parent clones trace to two populations selected for resistance to Verticillium wilt, anthracnose (Race 1), spotted alfalfa aphid, blue alfalfa aphid, and pea aphid, and southern root knot nematode. Phenotypic recurrent selection was used. Final selections were made from a space planted nursery near Kingsburg, California. Parentage traces Pecos (75%), and 13R Supreme (25%). Breeder seed (Syn 1) was produced on parental clones near Nampa, Idaho in 1990 under field conditions. Approximate germplasm source contributes are: M. falcata (1%), Ladak: (1%), M. varia (2%), Turkistan (25%), Flemish (1%), Chilean (3%), Peruvian (0%), Indian (3%), African (64%). Breeder seed (Syn 1) was produced under field isolation near Nampa, Idaho in 1990.
2. AP 9098 appears to be adapted to and is intended for use in the moderately winterhardy intermountain region of the U. S. has been tested in California.
3. Fall dormancy is similar to Mesilla. Flower color in Syn 2 is approximately 95% purple and 4% variegated with less than 1% cream, yellow and white.
4. AP 9098 has high resistance to Fusarium Wilt; resistance to Bacterial Wilt, Verticillium Wilt, Anthracnose (Race 1), Phytophthora Root Rot, Spotted Alfalfa Aphid, and Stem Nematode; moderate resistance to Pea Aphid.
5. Seed increase is limited to one generation each of breeder (Syn 1), foundation (Syn 2) and certified (Syn 3) seed classes. Certified seed may be produced from either breeder or foundation classes. A 1,3 an 5 year stand life is permitted on fields producing breeder, foundation and certified classes, respectively. Foundation seed production, outside the area of adaptation limited to single-season production (non-overwintering). Second year of production may be allowed with inspection and approval by breeder prior to second year production. Breeder seed was produced in 1990. ABI will maintain sufficient stocks for the projected life of the variety.
6. Certified seed will be available in 1998
7. Plant variety protection will not be applied for.
8. This information can be forwarded to the PVP office.
9. Variety Name: Date submitted: November 19, 1997. Experimental
Designations: AP9098, ABI9098