(ZX 9886, ZX 9886A)
November 21, 2001
1. Ameristand 802 is a synthetic variety with 200 parent clones. Parent clones trace to one population selected for resistance to Phytophthora root rot, anthracnose (Race 1), bacterial wilt, Fusarium wilt, Verticillium wilt, blue alfalfa aphid, spotted alfalfa aphid, pea aphid, stem nematode, southern root knot nematode, and crown rot.
Recurrent phenotypic selection was used. Final selections were made from two and three year old nurseries near Kingsburg, California, based on overall root and crown health.
2. Ameristand 802 is adapted to the Southwest region of the U.S. It is intended for use in the Southwest region of the U.S. to produce stored feed.
3. Ameristand 802 is non-dormant, similar to the FD 8 check. Flower color in the Syn 2 generation is 97% purple, 1% cream, 1% yellow, and 1% variegated.
4. Ameristand 802 has high resistance to Fusarium wilt, Phytophthora root rot, spotted alfalfa aphid, pea aphid, blue alfalfa aphid, southern root knot nematode; and resistance to anthracnose (Race 1), Bacterial wilt, and the stem nematode. Verticillium wilt and Aphanomyces root rot resistance levels has not been determined.
5. Seed increase is limited to one generation each of breed. (Syn 1), foundation (Syn 2), and certified (Syn 3) seed classes. Certified seed may be produced from either breeder or foundation classes, A 1, 3, and 5-year stand life is permitted on fields producing breeder, foundation and certified classes, respectively. Foundation seed production, outside the area of adaptation is limited to single-season production (non-over wintering). Second year of production may be allowed with inspection and approval by breeder prior to second year production. Breeder seed was produced in 1997 near Kingsburg, California under field isolation. ABI will maintain sufficient stocks for the projected life of the variety.
6. Certified seed will be available in 2002
7. Plant variety protection will not be app1ied for.
8. This information can be forwarded to the P.V.P. office.
9. Variety Name: Ameristand 802 Date submitted November 21, 2001
Experimental designations: ZX 9886. ZX 9886A