1. ABT 705 is a synthetic variety with 150 parent clones. Parent clones trace to three populations selected for grazing tolerance, verticillium wilt, spotted alfalfa aphid, blue alfalfa aphid, and pea aphid. Phenotypic recurrent selection was used. Final selections were made from a grazing survival trial at Tifton Georgia. Parentage traces to Pecos (80%), ABT 805 (10%) and Amerigraze 702 (10%). Approximate germplasm source contributes are: M.falcata (2%), Ladak ( 1%), M. varia (7%), Turkistan (22%), Flemish (2%), Chilean ( 15%), Peruvian (1%), Indian (15%), African (2%), and unknown (33%). Breeder seed (Syn 1) was produced under field isolation near Nampa, Idaho in 1993.
2. ABT 705 is intended for use in the Southwest region of the United States for grazing and other uses. It has been tested in California, Arizona, and Georgia.
3. Fall dormancy is similar to Mesilla. Flower color of (Syn 2) 95% purple. and 4% variegated and a trace of white, cream, and yellow. After intensive grazing, ABT 705 showed plant survival significantly better than the unselected varieties, Pecos and Florida 77.
4. ABT 705 has high resistance to bacterial wilt, fusarium wilt, and spotted alfalfa aphid resistance to anthracnose (Race 1), verticillium wilt, phytophthora root rot, blue alfalfa aphid and southern root knot nematode; moderate resistance to stem nematode; and the pea aphid. Aphanomyces root rot has not been tested.
5. Seed increase is limited to one generation each of breeder (Syn 1), Foundation (Syn 2 )and certified (Syn 3) seed classes. Certified seed may be produced from either breeder or foundation classes. A 1, 3 and 6 year stand life is permitted on fields producing breeder, foundation and certified classes, respectively. Foundation seed production outside the area of adaptation, is limited to single-season production (nonoverwintering). Second year of production maybe allowed with inspection and approval by breeder prior second year of productions. Breeder seed was produced in 1993. ABI will maintain. Sufficient stocks for the projected life of the variety.
6. Certified seed will be available in 1997
7. Plant variety protection will not be applied for.
8. This information can be forwarded to the PVP office.
9. Variety Name: ABT 705 Date submitted November 19, 1996 Experimental
designations: ZG 9471