1. ABI 9352 is a synthetic variety with 450 parental clones. Parent
clones trace one population selected for resistance to Phytophthora root
rot, anthracnose, bacterial wilt, Fusarium wilt, Verticillium wilt, blue
alfalfa aphid, spotted alfalfa aphid, pea aphid, stem nematode, and northern
root knot nematode. Recurrent phenotypic selection was used Final
selections were made from two and three year old nurseries near Nampa,
Idaho based on overall root and crown health. Parentage traces to
experimental closely related to the variety Archer (100%). Breeder seed
(Syn 1) was produced on cuttings of the parental clones near Nampa, Idaho,
in 1993. Breeder seed was produced under field isolation.
2. ABI 9352 appears to be adapted to and is intended for use in Winterhardy Intermountain region of the U. S. It has been tested in Idaho, Washington and California.
3. Fall dormancy of ABI 9352 is similar to Dupuits. Flower color is approximately 88.% purple and 11% variegated with less than 1% cream, yellow and white.
4. ABI 9352 has high resistance to Verticillium Wilt, Fusarium Wilt, Anthracnose, Blue Alfalfa Aphid, and Columbia Root Knot Nematode; resistant to Bacterial Wilt, Phytophthora Root Rot, Spotted Alfalfa Aphid, Stem Nematode, and Northern Root Knot Nematode; and moderate resistant to the Green Pea Aphid.
5. Seed increase is limited to one generation of breeder seed (Syn 1),two generations of foundation and two to three generations of certified seed. Certified seed may be produced from either breeder or foundation classes. A 1,3, an 6 year stand life is permitted on fields producing breeder, foundation and certified classes, respectively. Foundation seed production, is limited to the Pacific Northwest. Breeder seed was produced in 1993. ABI will maintain sufficient stocks for the projected life of the variety.
6. Certified seed will be available in 1997
7. Plant variety protection will not be applied for.
8. This information can be forwarded to the PVP office.
9. Variety Name: First submitted November 19, 1997
Experimental designations ZX9352 ABI9352.